Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
23 June 2015
3.57pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13061sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 Frau Blucher!!

The following people thank Zig for this post:

georgiewood

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

23 June 2015
6.51pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
13062sp_Permalink sp_Print

georgiewood said
I’m spotting a trend here: lovers of the Beatles hate coffee–except for Zig of course, he enjoys being different.  I’m team Zig; I enjoy the smell, taste and ambience of coffee.  I hope that doesn’t tarnish my Beatle-loving reputation.

There’s a reason why so many advertisers use an image similar to this: 

It seems to be a modern universal apotheosis of happiness.  45 years ago it was a warm gun.

Odd – I’m sure I said early in the discussion I liked coffee @georgiewood ?

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

23 June 2015
7.13pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
13063sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey look, another weird website.

http://www.pointerpointer.com/

(As far as I know, this one doesn’t work on mobile)

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

23 June 2015
7.23pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
13064sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where d’you get these mad things, Necko? 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

23 June 2015
7.28pm
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
13065sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Odd – I’m sure I said early in the discussion I liked coffee @georgiewood ?

Oops, sorry, trc, you are indeed a member of the oppressed minority. a-hard-days-night-john-1

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

trcanberra

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

23 June 2015
7.31pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
13066sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love the smell of coffee……..I bought a coffee percolator for the World Cup in Brazil just for the ‘I could actually be there aroma……’ Go figure!

(I have only 3 world cups left if I’m lucky so I like to maximize the experience).

My gripe with all those frothy coffees is that they are never hot…….Also true of the cafetiers passed around at dinner parties.  

As it is I get my caffein from tea.

Even though I’m typing this in Thailand I have a supply of ‘Tea Pig’, Yorkshire Gold, Fortnam and Mason, Tetley, PG Tips and a cake/disc or ‘Bing’ ‘Been’ of Pu’erh. 

I discovered Pu’erh in a dentist waiting room….Reading one of the women’s magazines. All the claims for it are probably rubbish but I like how the taste from the same leaves changes through multiple infusions ………I stop at the 3rd. Don’t drink it more than a day a week though…….It’s hard to find. 

Whatever we like ….we like and there it is.

And we all like the Beatles…..I’m just one of the ‘tea’Bles’ …..

But Ringo when asked if he was a Mod or a Rocker said ‘I’m a Mocca’ 

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, trcanberra, georgiewood
23 June 2015
8.01pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
13067sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said
Where d’you get these mad things, Necko? 

The Internet, though I don’t really sense any anger in them. 

Here’s three more:

http://theyfightcrime.net/

http://www.nobodyhere.com/justme/

http://wwwwwwwww.jodi.org/

24 June 2015
2.44am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
13068sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I discovered Pu’erh in a dentist waiting room

Awesome tasting tea @Wigwam, my daughter bought me some during her visit to Bangkok earlier in the year and I REALLY like it.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

24 June 2015
10.57am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
13069sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

In a different thread, I have been subtly challenged to “give it the old college try” and articulate why I abhor the Paul McCartney track called ‘Temporary Secretary ’. There will be no argument from me. There will be no assuming I’m right and everyone else is wrong. These are strictly my feelings and my opinions. Get comfy and pour your favorite beverage. You might be here for a while…or not.

First, some background. I love raw music. Rock & Roll, Blues, old R&B, Classical, etc… That is not to say that my musical “likes” are limited to those genres and there are always exceptions. But that is where everything starts with me.

As a kid, I was exposed to various artists who played a wide variety of musical styles via my father’s album collection, the AM radio in mom’s old Plymouth Valiant, my older cousins’ albums and 45’s or whatever Miss Hunt played on her piano in elementary school Music class. I’m used to giving a song or a particular genre at least a listen. Maybe two listens if I’m interested enough. I say all this to let you know that I am not a music snob (my definition is, “I like this and everything else is crap”). Rather, I know what I like from a song, artist or genre. Taking that further, once I attach myself to a particular artist, I know what I expect from them. I am very disappointed when those expectations are shattered. Do I take it too far in that respect? Maybe. But that’s me, and those who know me best realize that I don’t wear my heart on my sleeve. Instead, it beats conspicuously for the entire world to see, smack dab in the middle of my forehead like a third eye. There will never be any doubt about where I stand on anything. Love me or hate me, know this; I will never lie to you. But I digress.

Having set the stage in the prior paragraph, let me elaborate with some examples of what I mean by “shattered expectations”. These are in no particular order; I am just listing them as I think of them.

Aerosmith – Their first 4 or 5 albums were incredible – hardnosed guitar, bass, drums and amazing vocals. Raw, powerful R&R is what I came to expect from this band. Then, during the Joe Perry-less timeframe, changes in their style started surfacing. There were some real rockers among the tracks, but for the most part, the band seemed to have lost that raw edge that defined their style. Don’t get me started on the stuff they released in the late 80’s. Were these bad albums? Not for me to say. If someone likes that type of thing (many have and still do), more power to them. During the 80’s and even up to now, the band has celebrated more success than they did in the early years. But, the sound that drew me to them had disappeared. Very disappointing. They were no longer MY Aerosmith.

Kiss – What pre-teen or teenage boy back in the 70’s didn’t like this band? Makeup and theatrics aside, these guys rocked my socks off. I could not wait for the next single or album to be released. Then, one day on the radio, the DJ announced the new single by Kiss. Yeahhhhhh – a new Kiss song!! He then played ‘Beth’. Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?! On its own, Hell even if it was a Paul McCartney ballad, I may have liked at least parts of it. But, from Kiss? That type of song is not what made me a fan. After that, they still put out some great rockers, but I became wary and a little distrusting of anything they released. It wasn’t the same. They were no longer MY Kiss.

Pink Floyd – Not exactly raw Rock & Roll, but their music was real. You could groove to it like one would to old R&B. Psychedelic electronic sounds were prevalent to be sure, but in the background, there usually was a basic real-sounding drum beat, bass line or guitar riff steering the ship. Then, right around the time of The Wall, their sound started to turn more commercial, overproduced (sounds odd saying that about Pink Floyd) and less real. That album was the last one of theirs I had any interest in. Very disappointing. They were no longer MY Pink Floyd.

I could cite myriad more examples but let’s get right down to it.

McCartney II / ‘Temporary Secretary – I love The Beatles. I love the individual works of John, Paul, George and Ringo. Like everyone else, I do like certain songs less than others. However, even in those songs, I can find something I like within them; a harmony here, a minor chord there, “hey, that was a cool guitar part”. You get the idea. Again, the point is, I knew what to expect. Then, in Spring of 1980, my best buddy John and I heard the new McCartney song, ‘Coming Up ’ on the radio. It wasn’t the best thing we ever heard from Paul, but it wasn’t the worst. John was a huuuuge McCartney fan, so he went out and bought the album. When he got home, he called me over to his house. We went upstairs to his room, placed the album on the turntable and scoured the cover art while ‘CU’ played. We couldn’t wait to hear the rest of the album. Then, track 2 started; ‘Temporary Secretary ’. The color drained from both of our faces. I swear he had tears in his eyes. What the Hell is this?!?! This didn’t rock. This was not a well written ballad. WTF is he doing?!?! This is the tune ‘Popcorn’ played at 78 rpm…with crappy lyrics to boot! It most certainly was not what we expected from Paul McCartney . This was what we would have expected from some schmucks trying to cash in on a gimmicky song. Very disappointing. This was not MY Paul McCartney .

If now you are thinking my detestation of this track is based purely on emotion, let me set the record straight. I have never liked technopop, synthpop or whatever it is called. I am not a psychologist, neurologist or musicologist, so don’t ask me to explain the following. Invariably, when I hear something from this genre, I literally wince. It is painful. No kidding, no exaggeration. When I say “nails on a chalk board”, I am not joking. It relieves me to no end that I am not a spy holding secrets that could, if found out, jeopardize national security. That is because everyone now knows what could torture me to the point that I would renounce my country, family, pets and left testicle. To make matters worse, ‘TS’, in my own opinion is the absolute worst (I can’t even bring myself to call it a song) track I’ve ever heard that is considered synthpop or whatever it was supposed to be. To be fair though, I haven’t heard every one. There could be worse.

Let me clarify one final point. When I said “I don’t get what everyone likes about this…”, I meant it. It will forever escape me. That does not mean I question the intelligence, taste or right to live of anyone who does like it. More power to you. There is no offense intended – just my feelings and opinions.

I understand that this rant will not gain me entrance to Mensa. But it wasn’t bad for an “old college try”, eh? Thanks for listening.
apple01

The following people thank Zig for this post:

trcanberra, Wigwam, vonbontee

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

24 June 2015
12.24pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
13070sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love Paul. Bet you couldn’t guess that. 🙂 But, I cannot listen to Temporary Secretary . It is pure a-hard-days-night-paul-3 to my ears.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug
24 June 2015
4.08pm
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842
13071sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Zig for that incredibly detailed “college try” (I recall you were practically the only person to give me a good rebuttal many moons ago to that strange theory about the Beatles’ usage of the word “friend” for ostensible romantic lovers).  I think the main cogent points you laid out deal with how important musical genre is to you.  A telling indication of where you and I stand respectively in this regard may surprise or even shock you, but I have never been into Aerosmith, Kiss, or Pink Floyd — and over the years I have positively avoided them.  I thus have no real exposure to them.  However, in the last year or two, I have been trying to broaden my horizons and give time to music I used to think I would not like (e.g., I’ve been listening to lots of blues, which in years past bored me to tears). 

In this regard, my attitude for decades has been that I don’t really like rock & roll per se — I only like it when the Beatles do it (or when Santana or Chicago did it — and in a few choice songs by the Stones: It’s Only Rock & Roll, Brown Sugar).

What would be interesting is where our respective tastes in Beatles songs intersect, given our pretty radical differences in genres.  I think the Beatles more than other bands produce songs where people of different tastes can find agreement — but not always. 

However, here’s a crucial point:  I myself don’t care for the genre which Temporary Secretary is supposed to emulate (whatever one calls it — techno pop or whatever)!  So to me, I’m liking that song not because of the genre, but because of some McCartney aesthetics that are in it.

P.S.:  I forgot about “Coming Up ” when in the other thread I said I didn’t care for that album.  That is a great song, to me clearly superior to Temporary Secretary for sure.

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

Zig

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

24 June 2015
4.20pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
13072sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going back to @Zig’s post two above this idea (from his friend) that it wasnt a ballad or rock and knowing what you were getting; is that a bad thing? 

The Beatles were always doing trying new sounds, not doing what was expected or what had been before. ‘Rubber Soul ‘ is different to ‘Help ‘, the same with ‘Revolver ‘ to ‘Rubber Soul ‘ and then you got ‘Pepper’ which took it further than anyone was expecting, and when folk thought they were going to be even more experimental they were hit with ‘The White Album ‘. For Paul ‘McCartney II ‘ was vastly different to ‘Back To The Egg ‘ and ‘London Town ‘ and pretty much everything that had gone before.

There were tons of Paul ballads on all of the albums before, and Paul was getting a reputation for them and being soft (tho there are ballads on ‘McCartney II ‘); ‘Back To The Egg ‘ has plenty of rockers (tho pretty feh they are). Paul doing something different and getting out of that expected zone i’d have thought was a good thing.

I love Emmylou Harris but the issue is a lot of her stuff nowadays you could switch from one album to another and rarely be able to tell and the same can be said for many bands. The same can be said for her material back in the 70’s; take one track from an album of that era, replace it with another and you wouldn’t be sitting there wondering what happened. 

The fact that ‘Temporary Secretary ‘ (and ‘McCartney II ‘ as a whole) and is so different is why i like it so much. Its not the Paul you expect and what folk presume him to be.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra, Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 June 2015
4.56pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
13073sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today is Saint Olivia day!

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

24 June 2015
5.03pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
13074sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
Today is Saint Olivia day!

What’s that, @Starr Shine? ?

(It’s not Olivia Harrison’s birthday.  I checked.)

24 June 2015
5.13pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
13075sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ She was born during 1492 then sailed to America to become the first female missionary in the USA.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

24 June 2015
6.34pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
13076sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is it her birthday or something?

24 June 2015
6.38pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
13077sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said
Is it her birthday or something?

It is the day she was accused of witchcraft in the Salem witch trials and hung.

24 June 2015
6.41pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
13078sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, that’s embarrassing.

24 June 2015
6.49pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
13079sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, Oudis, Zig

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 June 2015
7.00pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
13080sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

She turned me into a Silly Biscuit Ono! 

Silly-Yoko.jpg

(I got better…) 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Wigwam, Oudis

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Von Bontee
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694