Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
10 March 2013
9.38pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3841sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

Egroeg Evoli said

Zig said
There is RAIN in my forecast – only 10 days away!!!

In 13 days, I’m going to see the Fab Faux. They’re probably not as good as Rain , but they’re still good. They’re going to perform a mixed set, and then all of Abbey Road . I’m excited!!! :)

I’ve seen the Faux – you will love them.

I’ve seen them once before, and I did love them. :)  I said “they’re probably not as good as Rain ” because I’ve never seen Rain .

When I saw them, they got halfway through ‘the medley’ when suddenly they broke out with ‘Tomorrow Never Knows ‘. It was incredible.

That sounds cool- maybe they’ll do it at this concert, too!

EDIT of my previous post – 18 March is only 8 days away, not 10. Pardon my Macca-like math skills.ahdn_paul_01

He’s bad at math? I didn’t know that…

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

10 March 2013
11.01pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3842sp_Permalink sp_Print

That spider story on last page is..horrificpaul-mccartney

And I still don’t like tribute bands, especially not Beatles (it has something blasphemous for some reason). Someone on here recommended a ”good one”, so I watched it and I hated it.

Yesterday I went to Rotterdam with one of my best friends and we went to the Primark. Most. Horrible. Shop. Evah. It’s huge, it was supercrowded and everyone was shouting and yelling and some people had their crying babies with them. I didn’t know where to look and the queue for the fitting room was huuuuge (as was the queue for the checkout). We spent 4 hours in the shop. I didn’t really picture it like that. I did buy some cute things though.

I also wanted to say something interesting/relevant, but for some reason I forgot what it wasahdn_paul_01

11 March 2013
1.47am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098

Funny Paper said

LongHairedLady said
I bought a record player yesterday..  and I am in FREAKING HEAVEN.  There really is nothing like listening to old music the way it was released  at the time.  I love the crackle of the record as it plays….  a-hard-days-night-john-6 

Back in the 90s, I bought a CD of an old classical music master of the early 20th century, violinist and composer Fritz Kreisler, Kreisler plays Kreisler.  Instead of being remastered, the recordings were reproduced from being played on an old record player, probaby from the 1930s.  That dusty old sound fits his music:

This is absolutely beautiful, thanks for posting!

Also:  I found my Imagine record tonight, listening to it right now.  Ahhhhh….. so nostalgic.  heart

Any other Paul fans feel bad for him when you hear “How Do You Sleep?”.  Good song, but such low blows to Paul.  a-hard-days-night-john-7ahdn_paul_01

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 March 2013
2.52am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
3844sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I used to feel a bit like that, bad for Paul. But then I read about Ringo chastising John during the recording of it (“That’s enough, John”) and somehow his disapproval makes me feel a little better – like, John wrote the song; and George plays on it, therefore seemingly taking John’s side; but at least Ringo’s disapproval partly cancels out the negative vibes. And of course John later tried to distance himself from the song or laugh it off.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

11 March 2013
2.54am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
3845sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Yeah, I used to feel a bit like that, bad for Paul. But then I read about Ringo chastising John during the recording of it (“That’s enough, John”) and somehow his disapproval makes me feel a little better – like, John wrote the song; and George plays on it, therefore seemingly taking John’s side; but at least Ringo’s disapproval partly cancels out the negative vibes. And of course John later tried to distance himself from the song or laugh it off.

I read that about Ringo too, and it does help a bit.  John did back-pedal on that one, didn’t he?  a-hard-days-night-john-2

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 March 2013
11.06am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3846sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve got a question. Has anyone on here been to London?

My mom and I are going there in June, but we don’t know anything about the city and about hotels. Does anyone know good affordable hotels which are close to the centrum or at least to a metro station?

11 March 2013
7.08pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3847sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

My mom and I are going there in June, but we don’t know anything about the city and about hotels. Does anyone know good affordable hotels which are close to the centrum or at least to a metro station?

Yesterday I went to Rotterdam with one of my best friends and we went to the Primark. Most. Horrible. Shop. Evah.”

There’s a Primark in London you can visit…a-hard-days-night-john-3paul-mccartneyblue-meanie

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

12 March 2013
4.14pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3848sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

I expect hotels in London are going to be be quite expensive, as it’s the capital. I haven’t been there for a few years and I can’t remember, sorry!

The schools in England wouldn’t have broken up when you go over, which means places like museums will be a little cheaper, but I don’t know if that will affect hotel prices.

I think bikelock is from London, if I remember correctly, though I don’t know if she’ll know anything about it either tho. Maybe PM her? Good luck apple01 (I bet I know one place you’ll be going….)

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

12 March 2013
4.55pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3849sp_Permalink sp_Print

An unusual James Taylor photo (I’m guessing from his Gorilla days, fittingly):

http://www.girlslikeusthemusic.com/Carly_images/normanjt.jpgImage Enlarger

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

12 March 2013
10.17pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3850sp_Permalink sp_Print

@fabfouremily Meh it depends. There are hotels in all kinds of price ranges. We had found the ”perfect” (the comments were all positive and it looked good. Plus the price was quite alright) and you could pay when you arrived there, but they did need your credit card data..and we don’t own a credit card. This was the case with a lot of hotels :/

And yep, definitely planning on going thereahdn_george_06

12 March 2013
11.35pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3851sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here’s a thought Linde: rent a bed-&-breakfast at an Inn (probably cheaper than any hotel, and more charming) just on the outskirts and drive into town every day for the sightseeing.

13 March 2013
8.13am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3852sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tried this idea out at the James Taylor fan site — nobody seemed impressed.ahdn_george_05

Anyway, imagine a concert where James Taylor, Paul McCartney , and Paul Simon get together to do each other’s songs, all together.  It could be billed as:

James

James Paul

&

Paul

13 March 2013
12.49pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3853sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
I tried this idea out at the James Taylor fan site — nobody seemed impressed.ahdn_george_05

Anyway, imagine a concert where James Taylor, Paul McCartney , and Paul Simon get together to do each other’s songs, all together.  It could be billed as:

James

James Paul

&

Paul

Have any of these artists ever appeared in concert billed just by their Christian names? Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special? I’m not surprised nobody was impressed on the James Taylor site. There’s nothing in the idea to be impressed by. Sorry, Funny Paper, it just doesn’t work.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2013
1.48pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Linde said

It’s difficult knowing that you can’t provide credit card details to confirm booking. I have the same problem myself. Most hotels now ask for credit card details (as you seem to be finding out). I have handled it differently on the times I have been away in recent years. Usually it is best to contact the hotel directly, rather than go through a site. It is always better to be speaking to somebody directly, so that you can explain your situation. I have at times had family members prepared to offer their credit card details as confirmation, and found that has been accepted. Credit card details are merely a guarantee of the booking, and how you choose to pay once there is up to you. I do not know of a hotel that would insist you pay using the credit card you booked with. I also found with one hotel that insisted on credit card details in my name to confirm the booking, when I asked if a prepayment of part of the cost would help, they were happy to confirm the booking based on a cheque, eurocheque, or money transfer, covering the first night of the booking. The third way, often the riskiest, but also often the cheapest, is to find a few places you might like to stay, and then find out whether they have any rooms when you arrive. A hotel will often be offering reduced for empty rooms on the day to earn something from it rather than nothing. That can involve moving hotels from day to day. I stayed four nights in Liverpool a few years back, in three different hotels, and didn’t pay the advertised rate on the room on any night doing it that way.

Just to correct fabfouremily on something. If visiting museums is on your list, you won’t find them any cheaper in June than in any other month of the year. The vast majority of London national museums and art galleries have free entry, just have collection boxes if you want to make a contribution. I’d recommend the Victoria & Albert Museum. But you go to Exhibition Road and you have museum next door to museum. You’ll find the V&A there, the Science Museum, and the Natural History Museum. I’ve spent days on end lost there. The V&A has a small Beatles display, or has always had when I’ve been there, the last time being about nine months ago. If museums are something that interest, the best are free.

Don’t know whether this rambling has been any use, but hey! – tongue-in-cheek – if push comes to shove, I’m 45 minutes from central London and have a spare room!

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2013
3.07pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3855sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know the credit card details are merely a guarantee of the booking, but still..if you don’t have one, it’s pretty hard to book. We’ve phoned the hotel that had my mom’s preference (apparently they have an office in Holland too) but they said you absolutely needed one, but it could also be someone else’s, like you said. We’ve called some family members, but no one seemed to have one. Now one of my mom’s friends is here, and I do believe she’s got one, so hopefully that will work out. We also asked for a prepayment but that wasn’t possible.

My mom also wanted to just go to random hotels and ask if there were any spare rooms, but I absolutely don’t want to take that risk.

Also, thanks for the tips! We’ll be most definitely visiting a museum and it’s good to know that most of them are free and to know some names.

And that’s a deal. If nothing works out, we’re totally gonna crash at your place.ahdn_ringo_09

13 March 2013
3.57pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5692
3856sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know any particularly cheap hotels that don’t require a credit card, but bear in mind central London accommodation is often eye-wateringly expensive. The Tube (as the underground/metro is known) is normally good though – try to find a place to stay near a Tube station in zones one or two if you can – zones 3+ are a bit far out, though if you do venture further you’re more likely to find a B&B that doesn’t require a credit card. I definitely wouldn’t turn up at a hotel asking for rooms, unless you’re quite wealthy.

Get a copy of The Beatles’ London my Mark Lewisohn and others. It has *all* the locations you’ll want to visit, but if you’re pushed for time go and cross Abbey Road and write your name on the wall outside the studio. 7 Cavendish Avenue (Paul’s house) is a couple of streets away. St John’s Wood is the Tube stop for all those. Outside the station is the Abbey Road cafe, run by Richard Porter who does Beatles guided walks – I’ve not been on one but he’s a nice guy who knows his stuff.

A lot of places, like the Apple HQ and Apple Boutique, are no longer as they were, though the latter does have a heritage blue plaque for John Lennon on the side. There’s also a blue plaque on the Montagu Square flat where John and Yoko got busted. You can do the Apple Boutique, Montagu Square and Wimpole Street (where Paul and Jane Asher lived) on foot in about 20 minutes. Just north of Wimpole Street are the venue where Paul married Linda and Nancy (separately), and the magistrates court where John had his drugs hearing. There’s not a lot to see from the outside though, and the court building has been redeveloped quite a bit since the 60s.

Get a good A-Z map. If you’re there for several days you’ll get a lot of use out of it, unless you have a smartphone and a UK data plan.

A tip: do as much walking as you can. Central London isn’t really that big, and you’ll see far more on foot than you will underground. The Tube map can be deceptive and make it seem like distances are a lot further than they really are.

You should definitely go to the Tate Modern if you like art. The main Tate gallery has older art, but I’ve not been since TM opened. Over the bridge from TM is St Paul’s Cathedral. Highgate Cemetery in north London is good to explore, if only to see Karl Marx’s amazing grave monument (and all the other communist leaders’ graves near to his). Highgate village is lovely too.

Shakespeare’s Globe is worth a look if you like his plays. It’s been rebuilt in a similar style to how it was in Shakey’s day, so you sit or stand in the open air to watch performances. Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace are typical tourist destinations if you like that sort of thing. Late June-July is Wimbledon time, so you might be able to catch a tennis match if you get up early enough to queue.

Oxford Street and Regent Street are the main shopping areas – Carnaby Street is just off the latter, but it’s not what it was in the 60s. The West End (which is in central London, a short walk from Oxford Circus) is the theatre district. Soho has a good nightlife if you don’t mind slightly seedy things, and has some good record shops.

The East End (actually in the proper east side of the city) has a lot of the most interesting pubs, shops and streets, which mostly haven’t been ruined by property developers and millionaire business people.

Take lots of money. You’ll need it.

The following people thank Joe for this post:

Ahhh Girl

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

13 March 2013
4.23pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3857sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the information! 

I’ll keep the B&B thing in mind, but it seems we can borrow my mom’s friend’s creditcard, so it will all work out.

Thanks for all the tips too, of course I knew some things, but this sure helps. Although a Beatles tour sounds fun, I don’t think we’re gonna do that. I think the only Beatles related thing we’ll be going to is Abbey Road . Tbh I also don’t really care about Paul’s old house or the place John and Yoko got busted.

I only had to pay for the flight and had to give a bit of money to my mom for the hotel, so I’ve probably got a few hundred euros by then. She’ll pay for the subway tickets and the entrance money for things and the food and stuff, so I don’t really have to worry. I just hope she’ll have enough money, lol.

I can’t wait! The only times I’ve been abroad before was with school, when we went to Rome and once to the Ardennes, so I’ve only travelled by plane once! And I’ve never even been in a hotel! I feel like such a hillbilly right now.ahdn_george_06

13 March 2013
5.57pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Glad the credit card option seems it’s going to work out.

Couple of points to make.

Joe wasn’t recommending Paul’s old house. Cavendish Avenue, a five-ten minute walk from Abbey Road , is the only London home Paul has ever owned. He still owns it. The last time it featured in the news was when he and Nancy left it as he and Linda had years earlier to get married at the same Registry Office. If Paul is in London for the night, that’s where he is.

Public transport in London. It can be very expensive. At your earliest opportunity, what you need to do is either get a seven-day travelcard (the shortest time period available) or an Oyster Card. I don’t know the exact difference nowadays because I have been on free travel due to illness the past couple of years, The last time I had to pay for travel, non-Oyster travel added about a pound to each journey. A travelcard is probably your best option, but paying for transport as you get on it is your worst, and most expensive. Travelcards and Oyster cover all main London public transport. Tubes (metro), buses, and trains. All are between 50%-100% more expensive without.

Hope you have a great stay.

13 March 2013
6.09pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3859sp_Permalink sp_Print

LIVE! THERE IS WHITE SMOKE FROM THE VATICAN! A NEW POPE! WILL IT BE BONO!

13 March 2013
6.45pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3860sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

Funny Paper said

James

James Paul

&

Paul

Have any of these artists ever appeared in concert billed just by their Christian names? Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special? I’m not surprised nobody was impressed on the James Taylor site. There’s nothing in the idea to be impressed by. Sorry, Funny Paper, it just doesn’t work.

Well, there are a few things going on with that billing:  They are the only three quite famous solo singer’songwriter artists who hail from an era long gone by yet still hot, with every pairing among the three having collaborated in the past but never all three (Paul and JT have done stuff; Paul and JT have done stuff; Paul and Paul have done stuff though far less so), whose first names reveal a pivot (with the help of Paul’s use of his own middle name instead of his first name) — from James to James Paul to Paul, creating the effect of passing on the baton so to speak, yet still retaining the unity. 

And, such a concert would have the extraordinary benefit of combining three great artists in one collaboration.

P.S.:  I think Paul once used “James” or “James Paul” for something — an album, a song, or a concert. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5516
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5692, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5692