Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
4 January 2020
7.18pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2801sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Oh, come on. Like that’s going to happen. Everyone knows more conventional wars pay better.

Indeed. Out of curiosity, are you against this war (because of your libertarian leanings) or for it (because of your pro-Trump/patriotic leanings)? Obviously your position will no doubt be more nuanced, but I imagine it probably would fall along those lines…

(If you want to stay impartial as a moderator, that’s fine btw john-lennon-salute_gif)

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

4 January 2020
7.36pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2802sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Beatlebug said

Oh, come on. Like that’s going to happen. Everyone knows more conventional wars pay better.

Indeed. Out of curiosity, are you against this war (because of your libertarian leanings) or for it (because of your pro-Trump/patriotic leanings)? Obviously your position will no doubt be more nuanced, but I imagine it probably would fall along those lines…

(If you want to stay impartial as a moderator, that’s fine btw john-lennon-salute_gif)

I know you didn’t ask me so please do ignore this post, but…

As a moderator, I’m very much against this warjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

4 January 2020
8.13pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
2803sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

I’m only impartial in my actual moderating a-hard-days-night-john-6 although I do try to stay out of overt garbage-fires, I’m happy to peacefully volunteer my opinion.

My general feeling on this is that I’m generally against the prospect of our being involved in such a war (due to my libertarian leanings), but if a war is begun (which I do not think it will), I would want to serve my country in some way (do to my sense of patriotism, and besides, I like the idea of serving in some way anyway). And I repeat, I don’t think there is going to be a WWIII anytime soon.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

QuarryMan

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

4 January 2020
9.26pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2804sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
^ Important to note that’s 45.3%.

But he has a 95% approval rating among Republicans.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

5 January 2020
7.49am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2805sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I doubt it will escalate into anything like a third world war (touch wood) but I am quite fearful that it will turn into a situation similar to Iraq. 

Also worth noting the timing; Trump is shamelessly doing the very thing he constantly dragged Obama for doing for years. 

Image result for trump twitter obama will start a war with iran to get reelectedImage Enlarger

Image result for trump twitter obama will start a war with iran to get reelectedImage Enlarger

This Presidency is one giant sham. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

50yearslate

6 January 2020
2.29am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
2806sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can’t get over the fact that so far in this bushfire season, more than 6300000 hectares has been burned so far (the size of West Virginia, or the size of Latvia), at least 2500 buildings destroyed (but that number will actually be higher because many communities are totally cut off), and so far 25 people have died.

And we’ve still got at least 8 weeks of these fires to go…

I’m astounded at how badly our government is handling this – every single way you could stuff up leading the country through a disaster, Scott Morrison has done it – and his cabinet is just as bad.

I’m well over 300km from the East Gippsland fires, and the smoke today in Melbourne is all over the news – much worse air quality here than Beijing today. And the scary fact that it will be many, many, many times worse in the affected areas. 

I’ve been short of breath today, so I think my asthma has come back – how can the hundreds of thousands of those more affected than me be coping… 

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Ron Nasty, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, TangerineTrees

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

6 January 2020
2.37am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2807sp_Permalink sp_Print

And lest it be forgotten, it’s estimated that around 480 million animals have died in these fires, probably making more than one species extinct…

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 January 2020
11.13am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777
2808sp_Permalink sp_Print

My heart goes out to you and every part of your great country @The Hole Got Fixed. I pray that the resolution comes as quickly as possible. heart

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

6 January 2020
11.33am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
2809sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I second that. I really do hope that it resolves quickly and safely @The Hole Got Fixed and that you and your loved ones are safe. I pray for Australia and all the people and animals that inhabit the continent and country. heartheart I wish I knew how to help. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

6 January 2020
1.41pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2810sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think this sums it up perfectly. Hopefully, he realizes that most of the population hate him and resigns.

6 January 2020
3.54pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
2811sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cheers guys. I’m all safe, so is my family, thankfully.

Dark Overlord said
I think this sums it up perfectly. Hopefully, he realizes that most of the population hate him and resigns.

That’s been all over the news, though ScoMo won’t resign- that would hurt his ego!

aus-flag-v-small.png

7 January 2020
5.05pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2812sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

“Nah, you’re an idiot, mate,” another man told Morrison. “You really are.”

Really made me chuckle, in spite of how dire the situation is. Hope all our Australian BBers are safe! Distressing times…

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

11 January 2020
12.43am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2813sp_Permalink sp_Print

Iran have finally admitted the Ukrainian plane that crashed this week was accidentally shot down by Iranian forces. They were looking increasingly ridiculous.

And another finally, three years after the Northern Ireland Assembly collapsed, Stormont will meet this afternoon to elect a Speaker, a First Minister from the DUP (the largest Unionist party), and a deputy First Minister from Sinn Féin (the largest Nationalist party). Gun held to their heads with the threat of new elections being called on Monday, both parties fearing they would do badly, we have had compromise and the feckers are finally going back to work. They were also looking increasingly ridiculous.

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 January 2020
1.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The State of Virginia is seeing protests from the gun lobby because they are bringing in sensible gun laws that it’s difficult to see how they infringe on 2nd Amendment rights.

The new laws mean that every gun purchase now needs a background check, no more loopholes for private sales; that local governments can ban the carrying in parks and public buildings; and, this is the biggie, that an individual cannot buy more than one handgun a month! Only twelve a year!

a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

How they gonna keep up with the latest fashions?

So far in the US in 2020 there have been 14 mass shootings, and 2083 people have died from gunshot wounds.

50yearslate, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord

20 January 2020
2.47pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

Ron Nasty said
Iran have finally admitted the Ukrainian plane that crashed this week was accidentally shot down by Iranian forces. They were looking increasingly ridiculous.

And another finally, three years after the Northern Ireland Assembly collapsed, Stormont will meet this afternoon to elect a Speaker, a First Minister from the DUP (the largest Unionist party), and a deputy First Minister from Sinn Féin (the largest Nationalist party). Gun held to their heads with the threat of new elections being called on Monday, both parties fearing they would do badly, we have had compromise and the feckers are finally going back to work. They were also looking increasingly ridiculous.

Fun story about Stormont, a friend of mine does tours up in Belfast and one of their tour bus routes goes by Stormont, because it is not a political tour he doesn’t mention Stormont because politics and Northern Ireland- yeesh.

Anyhoo, some proper Unionist journalist wrote in a newspaper article how he had not pointed out Stormont, how he was disrespecting Northern Ireland by not doing that and essentially managed to paint him as some whackjob, ‘let’s blow up some policeman’s car’ Republican. He was petrified for a few months that he’d get Unionist retribution but fortunately nothing happened bar I think he got a letter telling him to be careful. Oh Northern Ireland, never change <3 .

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

QuarryMan

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

20 January 2020
5.14pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

[In response to post 2814 above, obviously] – this is what happens when you forget to finish your post for three hours]

1) If by “gun lobby” you mean “organizations of concerned citizens…” I mean, yes, that is technically a gun lobby, but you make it sound like it’s the evil NRA overlords.
2) These gun laws do not address the real problems faced by many communities, such as rampant poverty and crime; instead, they seem like a band-aid solution at best, or a power grab at worst. They won’t do half as much to prevent criminals from committing crimes as they will to make it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to arm themselves against criminals, wild animals (much of Virginia is quite rural), or even a hypothetical tyrannical government.
3) Oh no! Those silly gun-toting conservatards won’t be able to buy more than 12 guns a year! How tragic. Yes, but what if they need to buy a couple of guns in a short period of time? What if they just want to? Maybe it’s Christmas shopping*. At any rate, it’s not the government’s place to tell them they can’t without any reason. It’s not like that limit is going to stop one ill-doer from getting one gun and shooting people with it. One gun, or one knife, or even a heavy lead pipe, is all it takes for someone with homicidal intent. Sure, a gun makes it easier to kill more people with less effort, but you can do that with a revolver.
4) I’d like to see where you got this mass shooting/gunshot wound data. The definition of “mass shooting” is incredibly nebulous, and far too many gunshot wounds are self-inflicted. And if you’re putting a gun to your head, you’ve got other issues than just the gun.

*yOu’ll sHoOt yEr EyE oUt KiD a-hard-days-night-paul-5a-hard-days-night-paul-10

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

20 January 2020
5.56pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2817sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just out of curiosity, what is a situation where one would need to buy more than one handgun a month?

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

20 January 2020
8.56pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2818sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe you want to buy a couple of different kinds of handguns for different purposes, and you need them both sooner rather than later because you fear an imminent threat to your personal safety and/or property in different situations.

The point is, it’s not the government’s place to tell you, no, sorry, you can’t buy more than one a month. It’s a pointless restriction anyway.

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

21 January 2020
9.48am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2819sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Maybe you want to buy a couple of different kinds of handguns for different purposes,

That’s a want, not a need

and you need them both sooner rather than later because you fear an imminent threat to your personal safety and/or property in different situations.

This is what police are for. And even if you do need to protect something, why does one person need multiple handguns? I’m afraid I don’t understand.

The point is, it’s not the government’s place to tell you, no, sorry, you can’t buy more than one a month. It’s a pointless restriction anyway.

Not necessarily. The law could make it significantly more difficult for unlicensed people to access firearms, which could decrease the number of gun-related accidents or shootings. As for it not being the government’s place, I disagree. I think it is the government’s job to place restrictions on things in order to keep the country safe.

That said, it’s ridiculous that Kinder Eggs are banned in the US yet guns are (for the most part) totally legal…

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

21 January 2020
2.11pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2820sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good job Virginia for enforcing reasonable gun laws and i’m also impressed with how ANTIFA are refusing to escalate things like they usually do and instead just staying home while the protesters have their armed march.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691