26 January 2017
The Beatles are often scorned by rock lovers because they’re considered to be too poppy to be taken seriously as a rock band, but I think they are very underrated as rock musicians so I decided to make a playlist of their best rock songs.
The idea here is to pick their best 12 rock songs as a standalone album. It works best if you picture it as a debut album – I think my picks could rival Led Zep IV, Who’s Next, Appetite For Destruction etc as solid rock albums.
The rules: 12 tracks plus a bonus if you want.
Here’s my list
1. Back In The U.S.S.R – my favorite album opener by them. Gets the mood going and has a catchy if simple guitar solo.
2. Something – every great rock album has a ballad, and this one has a killer bridge and one of George’s best solos.
3. Come Together – A simple effective funky rocker.
4. Yer Blues – As close to blues rock as they got.
5. Everybody’s Got To Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey – Could be switched for several other songs but I felt this one fits the tracklist.
6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) – Closing the first side we have the first ever doom rock song. I chose it as a closer because a) it’s long b) it does that on Abbey Road too.
7. Let It Be (Album Version) – Epic and grandiose, and one of my favorite solos.
8. Helter Skelter – One of the first metal songs.
9. Hey Jude – Not particularly rock but has a great singalong.
10. And Your Bird Can Sing – Possibly the best guitar work in their catalog.
11. The End – I think it would be quite funny to have the End as the penultimate track. Oh, and the mind blowing three way solos + Ringo’s best drum solo.
12. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – George’s best song, with Eric Clapton’s epic guitar howling and weeping all the way through.e
The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:sir walter raleigh, ewe2
“While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another - because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman.”
1 January 2017
I think these ones would go well (this is not my tracklist, as it exceeds 12, but these are good ones to pick from!)
Cry For A Shadow
(maybe) Twist And Shout
Sgt Pepper Reprise
Revolution (single version)
Get Back (single version)
"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... "
8 January 2015
Vinyl tracking, aim to keep around 20 min a side, because rock is LOUD. Yes I cheated on the numbers, because ROCK told me to
- Hey Bulldog (YSS version just for the scary closeness of John’s voice.)
- She Said She Said (guitar licks the weight of anvils on your nut)
- Come Together (heavy and groovy)
- Birthday (almost insane and bright, and a solid rocker)
- Taxman (obligatory George, those guitar stabs could take out an eye)
- I Want You (She’s So Heavy) – you can’t really put this anywhere else and it limits the size of a side and it is MONSTROUS.
- Revolution (single version, noisiest)
- Helter Skelter (i’ve got blisters and you’ve got tinnitus)
- Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey (terrific song)
- Old Brown Shoe (much underrated and hella groovy)
- One After 909 (mainly an excuse to feature Billy Preston and George’s solo)
- Yer Blues (loud guitars!!)
- Don’t Let Me Down (more awesome Billy Preston and cos it’s a heavy song, man)
- The End (should never be the last track on a side!)
- Get Back (ALBUM version – because it’s looser and has the jokier ending)
Yes! Nine songs on a side at 20 minutes!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I was torn on several songs. I think Ticket To Ride or Day Tripper are also both worthy in a rocking way, but actual heavier rock took precedence. Also choosing between George songs, Savoy Truffle and I Me Mine both deserved an outing too.
Perhaps a second vinyl should be made of earlier rock and we could have a Red/Blue situation, call it oh I dunno the White/Black records.
The following people thank ewe2 for this post:SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars
I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe. This has been true for 2016 & 2017 but I may have to get more specific in the future.
26 January 2017
Ready? 2… 3… 4…
Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey
I Want You (She’s So Heavy
*Yes I ended with The End because its only natural
The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:SaxonMothersSon
"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"
-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues
"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"
-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl
19 October 2016
It’s interesting how much these lists overlap with the Capitol Rock And Roll Music compilation, which had the following tracks:
1. Twist And Shout
2. I Saw Her Standing There
3. You Can’t Do That
4. I Wanna Be Your Man
5. I Call Your Name
7. Long Tall Sally
8. Rock & Roll Music
9. Slow Down
10. Kansas City /Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!
11. Money (That’s What I Want)
12. Bad Boy
14. Roll Over Beethoven
15. Dizzy Miss Lizzy
16. Any Time At All
17. Drive My Car
18. Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
19. The Night Before
20. I’m Down
22. Back in the U.S.S.R.
23. Helter Skelter
25. Got To Get You Into My Life
26. Hey Bulldog
28. Get Back
30 July 2014
14 songs for a British LP. Everyone’s ears hear differently. I kinda like the Lads at their sweaty best when yer talkin’ Rock..
2. Slow Down
5. Drive My Car
9. Good Morning Good Morning (pref sans horns)
11. Revolution (single)
13. Helter Skelter
14. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) Good way to end a Rock collection….suddenly!
The following people thank SaxonMothersSon for this post:Pablo Ramon
19 October 2016
Good Morning Good Morning without the horns is practically punk rock. Great choice.
The following people thank Pablo Ramon for this post:SaxonMothersSon
25 July 2015
5 When I’m Sixty Four
5 Get Back
An old fashioned LP for you there.
28 March 2014
1976? Rock And Roll Music LP….