Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1964
31 December 2014
4.29pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The bootleg market has changed massively from 25 years ago when Yellow Dog releases cost $25 as for a start the internet has killed it as folk can now find all of the releases on the net and share them with anyone else without much hassle. I remember hunting stores and cities for bootlegs and being beyond thrilled at finding anything new, now if you know where to go you can get it downloaded for free within a hour or so.

And as i have said i will support the official releases when they come out if they are sensibly priced however for the 1963 Offical Beatles Bootleg we got charged £35 (so top wack) for what would have been 2 discs, maybe 3 if being generous with space, but its a download so nothing in your hand and the track information we did get was filled with errors, we even got the same track twice due to Apple botching it.

Looking at all that maybe Apple are so far behind the times they are only catching up with the bootleggers in that it was expensive and contained wrongly detailed track information.

On another note i’m getting pissed off that its 1/2 4 in the afternoon on the 31st December and there is nothing. I can understand them not releasing anything if there is no need to (i dont like it but its their choice) but they lose the rights if they do nothing. It’s insanity on a business level.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 January 2015
2.19am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Well done Apple on proving yourselves to be more incompetent than i thought you ever could be.

-the-Beatles-gifs-the-beatles-23079116-495-323.gifImage Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 January 2015
3.49pm
dauber
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Hey, it’s a win-win situation: yeah, Apple didn’t give us a 1964 set, but I’m sure some enterprising folks in the EU will now — it’s nice and legal. :)

4 January 2015
1.42pm
Duke_of_Kirkcaldy
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 270

Honestly, as with the ’63 set, apart from maybe a couple demos of songs they gave away to other artists (“A World Without Love” and “One and One Is Two,” perhaps), I can’t see there being much of interest on this set that wasn’t already included on Anthology 1 .

5 January 2015
1.12pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

It shouldnt be forgotten that the 1963 release contained a number of upgrades and the undubbed RM7 of ‘Money (That’s What I Want)’ which was previously unreleased.

5 January 2015
1.24pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105

ahdn_paul_06 Doesn’t that relate more to the 1963 bootleg thread or has my brain exploded?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

5 January 2015
1.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

It is the most inexplicable decision. Ignoring the studio work, there are some great quality live sets from 1964.

Next week, for the very reasonable price of £9.99, I will be releasing 300,000 Australians Can’t Be Wrong!, cover shot of them on the balcony with Johnny doing a Nazi salute, contents the fantastic Melbourne show.

PM if interested and, once I have gratefully received your payment, I will provide cover and show you how to get it for free!

What stewpid fecking barstewards!

Rumours are that they’ve found a loophole, that it’s just record companies reasserting their copyright, and all sorts of rubbish…

The Beatles have so far had two “grey” market releases, one for 1962 and one for 1963. Wait for the avalanche of 1964 shows. If they’ve found a loophole, why couldn’t they stop I Saw Her Standing There  (the 1962 release) or 1963 – Works in Progress (the 1963 release)??!!!

Stewpid! Stewpid! Stewpid!

Remember, PM, £9.99, and I’ll sort you!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 January 2015
1.58pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

@Starr Shine? said
ahdn_paul_06 Doesn’t that relate more to the 1963 bootleg thread or has my brain exploded?

No. @meanmistermustard is simply saying parts of the 1963 release were an upgrade on the bootlegs, and that there was no reason to think a 1964 would not have done the same.

You mean your brain hasn’t yet exploded?a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Starr Shine?

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 January 2015
3.01pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

One of the many comments going around is that the companies that recorded the shows keep the copyright (remaining outside of the UK copyright laws), Apple just have to negotiate terms for any of the performances they want for their 2015 Live Project. 

No idea how accurate that is.

You can bet every dollar you want however that some record label or individual is going to put a release out of many of the tracks that are believed to be PD and see what Apple do.

2 September 2015
6.14pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Article from chartattack.com reporting that Universal and Sony have teamed up to stop Stargrove Entertainment in Canada taking advantage of Beatles songs entering the public domain.

In a 408-page complaint filed Tuesday with the Canadian Competition Tribunal, Stargrove claims to have been blocked by industry giants Universal and Sony. While the recordings themselves have been opened up to the public, the compositions are still subject to publishing rights which must be cleared with the title holders (publishing companies, like Casablanca and ABKCO, who are often distributed by or otherwise affiliated with the Majors). In the filing, Stargrove says that such licenses are usually granted automatically, but the publishers at once decided to stop issuing licenses on the requested material and refunded its royalty payments, artificially extending the copyright over material that should be public. 

More at the link. And worth reading.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra

3 September 2015
4.21am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Examiner report on the Stargrove v Sony/Universal Canadian copyright stramash.

I remember when the cd’s came out there were reviews that the sound quality was poor so its interesting to read Stargrove’s claim that they were posted by Universal Music employees in a deliberate bid to put potential customers off.

3 September 2015
7.50am
Bongo
Somewhere In Time
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1916

meanmistermustard said
Examiner report on the Stargrove v Sony/Universal Canadian copyright stramash.

I remember when the cd’s came out there were reviews that the sound quality was poor so its interesting to read Stargrove’s claim that they were posted by Universal Music employees in a deliberate bid to put potential customers off.

I live in Canada, and couldn’t understand why anyone would want to buy these in the first place.  Not for me anyways, since I had the original 2009 CDs.

But I guess for anyone who doesn’t own Beatles records, it’s a good start!

Screen-Shot-2022-10-04-at-7.52.07-PM.png   BEATLES Music gives me Eargasms!  apple01

3 September 2015
8.17am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

$5 for a Beatles CD seems like a good price to me if the quality isnt poor. How much does your regular official Canadian Beatles CD go fo? 

Edit & note: The follow-up to this is continued in the ‘The Beatles and the 50 year copyright rule‘ thread; where it should have been posted in the first place. ahdn_paul_01

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694