Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963
10 January 2014
10.53pm
FLFIORE
Argentina
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

FLFIORE said

Hi from argentina. I love “A Taste Of Honey “. While nowhere near their masterpieces, it is a wonderful performance of a haunting melody and a highlight of their first LP.

Love those vocals “…yes I-I will return…” “I’ll come back…” And so forth.

Comments welcome!

Hi FLFIORE. Glad you have jumped into our discussions. Have you stumbled across the thread where you can tell us about how you got to know the Beatles music? We would love to hear your story if you would like to tell it. Being from Argentina, do you have any fondness for “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer ?” Have you heard Paul’s solo song that has the lyric “kiss your lips of silver?” Or, perhaps you and other Argentinians are tired of the references to silver. If so, sorry for the attempt at humor.

Thank you “Ahhh girl” I have just posted my first Beatles experiences in the “My fist Beatles songs” thread. I reproduce it below.

I would like to share how I came to hear The Beatles. I was born and raised in Argentina and I was 12 years old when their first records were released (1964). Attending an English school, I first heard them at schoolmates’ homes. But they were impossible to ignore, they were everywhere, immediately popular. A commercial on TV with Spanish lyrics over I Saw Her Standing There , Teen magazines with pics and info on them, everything from the start. They showed the Ed Sullivan show on Argentine TV but I can’t tell exactly when. I was blown away as my schoolmates, my siblings and everybody else.

I bought their singles and EPs which pretty much covered 10 songs of Please Please Me , so my first album was the second. Later in 1964, I got A hard days’ night. Issues followed the UK versions.

Parents and teachers largely did not like them but this was the mid-sixties and the generation gap. Paradoxically, it was my Dad who brought home the single Please Please Me c/w Love Me Do , in late 1963. This is before Beatlemania, so he hadn’t yet seen their long hair and rebellious attitude but kudos to him, he must have liked the music!

The Beatles were tops until I heard Cream, then for a couple of years I became “progressive” and the Beatles were second bill. But that did not last long and they are at the top of my list since.

My favorites are Strawberry Fields Forever , Penny Lane , Norwegian Wood , A Day In The Life and Hey Jude . Of the early years, my favourite is and always has been I Saw Her Standing There . Talk about energy and enthusiasm…

18 January 2014
4.53am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

Article on the legal strategy behind the brief release of the bootlegs.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

24 February 2014
1.28am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

SatanHimself said
$40…?  I think ‘no’.

I’m a working-class single Father with one income here.  Time to do the despicable and just DL the torrent.

Sorry folks.

To be fair though, I’ve paid good money for the vinyl box set, the stereo CDs, the new BBC set, the mono box set as well as the blu-rays, DVDs and the Anthology book.  I’ve paid many times over for the right to DL a hastily-compiled bare-bones set for free.

Amen.  If they had released the versions before I found them otherwheres, I would have bought them.  And I bought the vast majority of my collection in 2013, to the tune of a several hundred usd (and more to come I’m sure).  Are you talking about the Anthology dvd set, or are there others I don’t know about (official releases)?

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

24 February 2014
1.36am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

MattBusby said

SatanHimself said
$40…?  I think ‘no’.

I’m a working-class single Father with one income here.  Time to do the despicable and just DL the torrent.

Sorry folks.

To be fair though, I’ve paid good money for the vinyl box set, the stereo CDs, the new BBC set, the mono box set as well as the blu-rays, DVDs and the Anthology book.  I’ve paid many times over for the right to DL a hastily-compiled bare-bones set for free.

Amen.  If they had released the versions before I found them otherwheres, I would have bought them.  And I bought the vast majority of my collection in 2013, to the tune of a several hundred usd (and more to come I’m sure).  Are you talking about the Anthology dvd set, or are there others I don’t know about (official releases)?

A Hard Day’s Night  and Help were both DVDS, I assume that’s what he meant

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

Matt Busby

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

13 March 2014
6.58pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

It looks like the recordings are available to download in the US at iTunes again. Or am I misreading this? I haven’t really been paying attention due to the $40 price tag myself.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

13 March 2014
7.03pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought they had always been up, just buried deep down in amongst the tribute bands and cover albums so no-one stumbling about would come across them.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 March 2014
7.05pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I thought they had always been up, just buried deep down in amongst the tribute bands and cover albums so no-one stumbling about would come across them.

Yeah, that’s why I’m confused – I thought they’d gone up and only been available for 2 hours at first. So maybe they just got buried as you say.

parlance

13 March 2014
7.50pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had a very quick scan thru a Google search and could see nothing about them being removed and you’d have thought such a move would have reported somewhere, even if just a short article at Wogblog or Examiner. 

@parlance, did you just come upon them or did someone post a comment saying they were back?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 March 2014
7.58pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Had a very quick scan thru a Google search and could see nothing about them being removed and you’d have thought such a move would have reported somewhere, even if just a short article at Wogblog or Examiner. 

@parlance, did you just come upon them or did someone post a comment saying they were back?

I just saw a post at FB. I’ll have to look for the articles that mentioned the bootlegs only being available for a short time.

parlance

13 March 2014
8.06pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, here’s where we discussed it within this thread.

parlance

13 March 2014
8.29pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

That all seems to have happened due to reports from some places online pre-release that Apple would have it up and down before many could load the link. Folks concerns were then intensified when it went live in a handful of countries before vanishing for a number of hours until it again appeared later in the afternoon everywhere but this time at a higher price.

It’s thought it was taken down due to a pricing error, not a misguided marketing ploy.

Folks here will know this so its more a recap.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

parlance, Matt Busby

9 November 2014
4.17pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Anyone know of any plans of a 1964 follow-up at the end of the year or even if Apple have/need to do one? Would be something to look forward to.

9 November 2014
4.48pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I’m not entirely sure if the 50 year rule for unreleased work has been replaced with a 70 year rule to match up with released work. All we can do is wait and see. All we can do is watch over the next few weeks.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 December 2014
11.40pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

The price for this album has been reduced; in the UK its went from £34.99 down to £19.99, other countries have a similar drop in price (source: wogblog).

16 December 2014
3.27am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The price for this album has been reduced; in the UK its went from £34.99 down to £19.99, other countries have a similar drop in price (source: wogblog).

Wish I hadn’t bought it last year then

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

16 December 2014
3.32am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

meanmistermustard said

Wish I hadn’t bought it last year then

Yeah i know. And i doubt Apple are feeling so full of the christmas spirit that they will give you back the difference. 

Scrooge mcduck graphicsImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo

31 December 2014
1.05am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Here’s a strange one.

In the iTunes store i can play tracks 15 onwards (Money (That’s What I Want), all the BBC numbers and the two Lennon demo’s) for free whilst the rest of the tracks have to be bought (99p each). Still costs £19.99 for the complete album.

Is it the same for everyone?

bbr63.JPGImage Enlarger

31 December 2014
1.09am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Here’s a strange one.

In the iTunes store i can play tracks 15 onwards (Money (That’s What I Want), all the BBC numbers and the two Lennon demo’s) for free whilst the rest of the tracks have to be bought (99p each). Still costs £19.99 for the complete album.

Is it the same for everyone?

bbr63.JPGImage Enlarger

Nope, they’re all $1.29 for me. 

9 August 2016
12.27am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are the live BBC tracks on this album already on Live At The BBC ?  I just want to know if I should actually buy the whole album or if I can just buy the demos.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

9 August 2016
12.59am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
120sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said
Are the live BBC tracks on this album already on Live At The BBC ?  I just want to know if I should actually buy the whole album or if I can just buy the demos.  

No. Nothing on there is previously released on legitimate releases.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

William Shears Campbell

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694