6 February 2018
1. And I Love Her - it was surprisingly easy picking my favourite song from the album. This song is just utterly breathtaking, like a romantic night under the stars. It's so sweet and pretty-sounding, with some of Paul's best vocals yet. My heart just sighs everytime I hear it haha! 10/10
2. A Hard Day's Night - a classic that's honestly never gotten old, just so energetic and addictive. 10/10
3. If I Fell - if you haven't noticed, I have a slightly embarrassing soft spot for romantic slow-dancing songs with beautiful melodies lol. I just love the vulnerability and genuineness of this song, there's that hopeful tone to it that's tinged a bit with melancholy and longing for a relationship but not wanting to get hurt. Paul and John's voices are so good here too, I love how tender and raw they sing. 10/10
4. I Should Have Known Better - This has always been a favourite of mine; you can bop your head to it and I love the sound of the harmonica. I find the subject matter and lyrics utterly adorable and an interesting take on a love song. I think it's one of John's most underrated songs. 9/10
5. I'll Be Back - just so beautiful, and a wonderful way to end an album, like wistfully staring out the window. And maybe it's just my weird imagination, but I sometimes picture a cowboy riding off into the sunset when I hear this song haha 9/10
6. Can't Buy Me Love - extremely catchy and lots of fun, has that care-free and lively vibe that's captured so well on the album. 9/10
7. Things We Said Today - now thinking about it I wish I could put this song higher because it's so lovely. Paul was making so many good songs during the era and this further proves it; introspective, sophisticated, and a gorgeous melody. 9/10
8. You Can't Do That - a great rock song, just makes you want to jump and down and shout along with the lyrics haha. It's a little cynical, but there's still that playful tone to ease the edginess that I enjoy. 9/10
9. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - two words: sooooo cuuuuteee!!! If this doesn't make your heart swell up then I don't know what will haha. I love Paul and John's background vocals, and that melody is hard to resist. I dunno man I just really love this song and I find it so adorable 8/10
10. Any Time At All - good song, catchy chorus, and a really strong vocal performance from John, demanding but fun. It's not a track I listen to a lot but when I do I always end up enjoying it, so it's probably considered a hidden gem. 8/10
11. When I Get Home - yeah, the lyrics are a little cheesy (that cow part never fails to make me laugh) but hey you can't deny how fun and infectious this song is! It's another one to get you jumping and happy, and I've always thought it was slightly underrated by fans. Not their best track by any means but still quite good 7/10
12. I'll Cry Instead - I really like the lyrics but I find this song to be awkwardly placed on the album, because it comes and goes so quickly and it's pretty short. But I love the catchy, jangly rhythm to it and the way it showcases John's insecurities. 7/10
13. Tell Me Why - oh man, I don't know if people will hate me for this but to me this song is just so...annoying. I feel like they're literally shouting at me and it's so relentless, the song barely has time to breathe and it's slightly too repetitive for my liking. I just never warmed up to the way it sounded, it's too loud but not in a good way. 4/10
17 October 2013
Edit...I reckon I'll be Back is where John started putting 'bits' together like he does in Happiness is a.....
Whether Ray Davis nicked the idea for Autumn Almanac, or it's always been a common technique I don't know.
What makes you think so? It seems normal to me...
Sorry just saw this......I'm not really qualified to actually explain what I'm hearing........I basically agree with VB......
It's only a couple of minutes long but it chops and changes a lot.....Intro... Verse..verse..bridge1...verse..verse..bridge 2..verse...verse...bridge 1... verse..outro
Bridge 2 is so unexpected....and the timings are chopped and changed about........John had gone from following accepted formulas to just doing his own 'gut' thing here and I liked it....Added to the drama.
Perhaps it seems normal today.........50years later...
But at the time for me brought up on predictable pop.....hearing this extra bridge I remember thinking......(let me clean this up a' la Dan Maskell after a spectacular shot at Wimbledon) ......'Oh my word! ......Oh I say!!'
The following people thank Wigwam for this post:Shamrock Womlbs, 50yearslate
9 March 2017
I think i'll finally have a go at this:
11. Any Time At All
4. I'll Be Back
3. Tell Me Why
1. If I Fell
If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.
14 June 2019
26 January 2017
Looking through these lists I wish that I Should Have Known Better were ranked higher.
"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"
-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues
"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"
-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl
5 November 2019
2. If I Fell
5. I'll Be Back
9. Tell Me Why
12. Any Time At All
13. When I Get Home