Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1987 CDs
5 February 2022
10.45am
dsfinnegan
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello,

I am currently on the hunt to purchase the 1987 CDs of the albums. While searching, I am coming across what appears to be two different types of releases of the ’87 CDs. The one major difference I am noticing is the appearance or absence of the Apple logo, whether on the case itself, the CD, or both. 

Can anyone confirm for me if there is a major difference between the two releases? Are the releases without the Apple logo the originals, with the ones containing the Apple logo reissues/reprints, or vice versa? I wouldn’t think there would be any difference content-wise, but if anyone grew up with these CDs and knows of any differences or if they are simply reissues, please let me know? If they are reissues, please let me know if the ones containing the Apple logo are first-issues or reprints.

Thank you.

5 February 2022
12.25pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5441

Don’t know, sorry…I sold or discarded mine a decade ago. They were a mix of new and used, bought across the span of the 90s, so I can’t even verify which ones were which pressings, or which had apples or which didn’t, if any.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

5 February 2022
12.47pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

I think I still have mine but no idea about variations or which ones I have. I bought CDs then played them.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 February 2022
1.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

The first thing to note, @dsfinnegan, is that the Beatles were never signed to Apple Records. The use of the Apple logo on their releases (together and solo) was purely the record company allowing them a design feature that cost them nothing, as (shown by the catalogue numbers) they were still being released by Parlophone/EMI.

Their contract with Parlophone lasted until 1976, and new releases after this – such as Rock And Roll Music Love Songs, The Beatles Ballads, etc. – used the Parlophone or Capitol label (in the main).

The Beatles (along with the Estate of John Lennon ) spent much of the ’80s suing each other – well, Yoko, George and Ringo spent much of ’80s suing Paul; along with suing EMI/Capitol as a group.

By the mid-’80s the lawsuits between various ex-Beatles had lessened, allowing them to finally agree to the release of their catalogue on CD across 1987 and into 1988. These were all released on the Parlophone label, and would continue to be so until 1993.

At the beginning of the ’90s discussions began on the CD release of the Red and Blue albums. EMI had two suggestions, releasing 1962-1966 (the Red) as a single disc since it would easily fit, or combining the two into one 2CD set which, again, it would easily fit.

The Beatles sued, wanting to keep the sets as 2 double-disc releases as originally released, citing a clause in their 1967 contract with Parlophone that had been included to prevent Capitol from chopping up their albums – leaving tracks off, adding tracks, including singles on albums – and allowing them to get three albums out of two UK albums. The clause set out that releases could not be made without the Beatles and their managements agreement on every aspect – the tracklisting, the artwork, the release date, and that a label like Capitol could no longer make up their own albums – which effectively gave them complete artistic control over how their recordings were released even if EMI owned the masters.

The judge came down on the side of the Beatles/Apple, ruling that EMI could not release anything without their agreement on contents, formatting, and artwork. Much to the annoyance of many Beatles fans, the Red and Blue albums were released in September 1993 as two full-price double CDs, despite being able to fit on two CDs, and they were released using the Apple label.

This was followed by Live At The BBC  and Anthology across 1994 and 1995, both on Apple, and new stock of the 1987 CDs having the Apple logo added as they needed repressing during that time period.

CDs 1987-1993, Parlophone label (including on releases originally badged Apple), no Apple logos; CDs 1994-2009, appropriate labels on discs (Parlophone/Apple) with Apple logo added to all.

So, if you want the set (including the artwork) as originally released in 1987, you want those without Apple logos.

Hope that helps.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

vonbontee, Rube, WeepingAtlasCedars, JW OBoogie

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2857
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690