The 23rd concert of Paul McCartney's Out There tour took place at the Plains of Abraham in Canada's Quebec City.
McCartney had played at the park almost five years to the day previously, on 20 July 2008. It had been his first concert in Quebec City.
— Brian Ray (@brianrayguitar) July 23, 2013
Getting ready to rock you!!!!
: ) > pic.twitter.com/HlQO9W7Z6O
— abe laboriel jr (@ogabejr) July 23, 2013
Pre gig food get's more like art . . Eating it anyway. pic.twitter.com/SNR9enzlO5
— Paul Wickens (@WixWickens) July 23, 2013
— Brian Ray (@brianrayguitar) July 24, 2013
McCartney dedicated The Beatles' Let It Be to victims of the Lac-Mégantic train disaster on 6 July, in which 47 people were killed when a train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded.
A thousand free tickets to the show were set aside for members of the community, with about 900 taking up the offer. Ten buses were also donated to bring people from Lac-Mégantic to the show.
McCartney dedicated the song to the people of the town with a special greeting delivered in French.
McCartney's band was Paul 'Wix' Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
quebec was surreal, maybe the highest stage i've ever been on! now getting together with my LA band mates todd & matt. new songs to finish!
— Rusty Anderson (@rustyanderson1) July 26, 2013
- Eight Days A Week
- Junior's Farm
- All My Loving
- Listen To What The Man Said
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- My Valentine
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- The Long And Winding Road
- Maybe I'm Amazed
- I've Just Seen A Face
- We Can Work It Out
- Another Day
- And I Love Her
- Here Today
- Your Mother Should Know
- Lady Madonna
- All Together Now
- Lovely Rita
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- Ram On
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Band On The Run
- Back In The USSR
- Let It Be
- Live And Let Die
- Hey Jude
Previous Out There tour dates:
- 4 May 2013: Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 6 May 2013: Estádio Serra Dourada, Goiânia, Brazil
- 9 May 2013: Estádio Governador Plácido Castelo, Fortaleza, Brazil
- 18 May 2013: Amway Center, Orlando, Florida
- 19 May 2013: Amway Center, Orlando, Florida
- 22 May 2013: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 23 May 2013: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 26 May 2013: FedExForum, Memphis, Tennessee
- 29 May 2013: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 30 May 2013: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 8 June 2013: Barclays Center, New York
- 10 June 2013: Barclays Center, New York
- 14 June 2013: Bonnaroo Festival
- 22 June 2013: Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw, Poland
- 25 June 2013: Arena di Verona, Verona, Italy
- 27 June 2013: Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna, Austria
- 7 July 2013: Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Canada
- 9 July 2013: Fenway Park, Boston
- 12 July 2013: Nationals Park, Washington, DC
- 14 July 2013: Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis
- 16 July 2013: Miller Park, Milwaukee
- 19 July 2013: Safeco Field, Seattle
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Come Together, The End
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, Good Night
- 1967: The Beatles go sightseeing in Greece
- 1965: UK single release: Help!
- 1964: Live: The Night Of A Hundred Stars
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.