McCartney was the reissue's producer. Also credited in the award nomination were mastering engineers Sam Okell and Steve Rooke.
The nominees in the Best Historical Album category:
- Band On The Run (Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Deluxe Edition) - Paul McCartney, compilation producer; Sam Okell & Steve Rooke, mastering engineers (Paul McCartney & Wings) [Hear Music
- The Bristol Sessions, 1927-1928: The Big Bang Of Country Music - Christopher C. King & Ted Olson, compilation producers; Christopher C. King & Chris Zwarg, mastering engineers (Various Artists) [Bear Family]
- Syl Johnson: Complete Mythology - Tom Lunt, Rob Sevier & Ken Shipley, compilation producers; Jeff Lipton, mastering engineer (Syl Johnson) [The Numero Group]
- Hear Me Howling!: Blues, Ballads & Beyond As Recorded By The San Francisco Bay By Chris Strachwitz In The 1960s - Chris Strachwitz, compilation producer; Mike Cogan, mastering engineer (Various Artists) [Arhoolie Records]
- Young Man With The Big Beat: The Complete '56 Elvis Presley Masters - Ernst Mikael Jorgensen, compilation producer; Vic Anesini, mastering engineer (Elvis Presley) [RCA/Legacy]
Ringo Starr was to have presented an award at the event, but was ill with pneumonia. He also missed the MusiCares benefit event held in McCartney's honour two days earlier.
Band On The Run previously won a Grammy in 1974 for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus. This was his 15th win at the awards, including his work with The Beatles and Wings. His previous Grammy win came in 2011 for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance for Helter Skelter from the live album Good Evening New York City.
The 54th Annual Grammy Awards took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Also on this day...
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Let The Rest Of The World Go By by Ringo Starr
- 1966: John Lennon and Ringo Starr visit Scotch Of St James nightclub, London
- 1964: Live: Carnegie Hall, New York City
- 1963: Live: Astoria Ballroom, Oldham
- 1962: Radio audition: BBC Broadcasting House, Manchester
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.