Sir Paul McCartney performed a tribute to Motown during his concert at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan.
He and his band played a cover version of Marvin Gaye's 1962 song Hitch Hike, which they had previously performed at the Apollo Theater in New York in December 2010.
We had a little time off today and we went to the Motown museum. Holy grail! When I was listening to records as a kid in Liverpool, learning the songs You Really Got A Hold On Me and Money, wow! So we'd like to do a song we don't normally do, for Detroit and for Motown, one of my favorites by Mr Marvin Gaye.
The first time I came here with the Beatles. I remember it, do you? I say that just to hear your scream.
He also played an acoustic guitar with a sticker showing the logo of the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. The sticker has been on the instrument for over a decade, but the audience was audibly delighted to see it once again.
McCartney's band was Paul 'Wix' Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
- Hello Goodbye
- Junior's Farm
- All My Loving
- Drive My Car
- Sing The Changes
- Hitch Hike
- The Night Before
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- The Long And Winding Road
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- Let 'Em In
- Maybe I'm Amazed
- I've Just Seen A Face
- I Will
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Band On The Run
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Back In The USSR
- I've Got A Feeling
- A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live and Let Die
- Hey Jude
Forthcoming dates in the On The Run tour:
- 26, 27 - Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec
- 31 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
- 1 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
- 4 - Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati, OH
Also on this day...
- 2012: The Beatles release iTunes compilation Tomorrow Never Knows
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Sprint Center, Kansas City, Missouri
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Come And Get It, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard
- 1968: Recording: Sexy Sadie
- 1967: The Beatles go sightseeing in Greece
- 1967: The Beatles call for the legalisation of marijuana
- 1965: Ringo Starr buys Sunny Heights, Weybridge
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.