Sir Paul McCartney has performed his first ever concert in Peru, before 50,000 fans at the Estadio Monumental in the country’s capital Lima.
The show, part of McCartney’s Up And Coming Tour, took place in Peru’s largest football stadium. McCartney played for almost three hours, drawing on songs from The Beatles’, Wings’ and his solo catalogue.
Here’s footage of his arrival in the city:
Prior to taking the stage, McCartney was presented with the Orden Del Sol by the Peruvian government’s First Minister. The award is the highest recognition in Peru. McCartney was also given the first ever Orden Del Arbol Del La Quina in recognition of his environmental work, and the National Library of Peru gave him the Medal of Honour of Peruvian Culture.
The Up And Coming Tour continues in Santiago, Chile on Wednesday, before two concerts in Rio de Janerio, Brazil, on 22 and 23 May 2011.
The setlist in Peru:
- ‘Hello, Goodbye’
- ‘All My Loving’
- ‘Letting Go’
- ‘Drive My Car’
- ‘Sing The Changes’
- ‘Let Me Roll It’/Foxy Lady
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- ‘Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five’
- ‘Let ’Em In’
- ‘My Love’
- ‘I’ve Just Seen A Face’
- ‘And I Love Her’
- ‘Here Today’
- ‘Dance Tonight’
- ‘Mrs Vandebilt’
- ‘Eleanor Rigby’
- ‘Band On The Run’
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’
- ‘Paperback Writer’
- A Day In the Life/‘Give Peace A Chance’
- ‘Let It Be’
- ‘Live And Let Die’
- ‘Hey Jude’
Also on this day...
- 2020: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr pay tribute to Little Richard
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Estádio Governador Plácido Castelo, Fortaleza, Brazil
- 1969: Paul McCartney performs on Steve Miller’s My Dark Hour
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back album inserts
- 1969: UK album release: Unfinished Music No.2: Life With The Lions by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1969: UK album release: Electronic Sound by George Harrison
- 1967: Recording: Untitled
- 1966: Recording: For No One
- 1965: The Beatles watch Bob Dylan perform in London
- 1965: Filming: Help! – various scenes around London
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1962: George Martin offers The Beatles a recording contract
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
El mejor dia de mi vida!!!!