Sir Paul McCartney performed before an estimated 50,000 people at he Halifax Common, Nova Scotia, his only Canadian tour date on his current tour.
McCartney described the concert as the start of his “mini North American tour”. His band played for roughly two hours and 40 minutes, with a setlist spanning his entire career.
Members of the 78th Highlanders Pipe Band from Halifax took to the stage for Mull Of Kintyre, at the invitation of McCartney. It was a rare live performance for the 1977 hit, which is normally only performed in Scotland.
During Paperback Writer McCartney began by playing the song in the key of A, only to stop when he realised it should have been in G.
McCartney also invited a young woman, Audrey McCombs of Fortuna, California, onto the stage after noticing her sign which read: “Will you sign my arm so I can get it tattooed?”
The full set list was as follows:
- Drive My Car
- Only Mama Knows
- Flaming Pie
- Got To Get You Into My Life
- Let Me Roll It
- All My Loving
- The Long And Winding Road
- My Love
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Calico Skies
- Mrs Vandebilt
- Eleanor Rigby
- Sing The Changes
- Band On The Run
- Back In The USSR
- I’ve Got A Feeling
- Paperback Writer
- A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance
- Let It Be
- Live And Let Die
- Hey Jude
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Parco della Musica, Rome, Italy
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Humphrey’s Concerts By The Bay, San Diego, California
- 2008: Sgt Pepper drum head sells for £541,250
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, Something, You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1968: John Lennon is best man at Alexis Mardas’ wedding
- 1964: Television: Summer Spin
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.