A cover version of Ben E King’s 1961 classic, ‘Stand By Me’ was the only single to be issued from Lennon’s 1975 album Rock ‘N’ Roll.
The song was remixed for the single, with an added string overdub. It was Lennon’s final hit before his five-year retreat from the music industry.
In the USA, ‘Stand By Me’ was released on 10 March 1975.
Also on this day...
- 2018: New video for Ringo Starr’s Give More Love
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Old Brown Shoe, I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1966: Lennon and Harrison watch The Lovin’ Spoonful in London
- 1965: Mixing: Help!, The Night Before
- 1964: Recording: Around The Beatles
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Paul McCartney meets Jane Asher
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.