The Beatles’ penultimate US single, ‘Let It Be’, was released in the United States on this day.
Let It Be was The Beatles’ final single before their split was announced. A final US single, ‘The Long And Winding Road’/‘For You Blue’, was released in May 1970, the same month the Let It Be album was issued worldwide.
The single spent 14 weeks on the US charts. It was at number one for two weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, and four weeks at the top of the adult contemporary chart. It also topped the charts in Australia, Italy, Norway and Switzerland.
Also on this day...
- 2021: Paul McCartney announces McCartney III Imagined
- 2020: Peter Jackson’s The Beatles: Get Back set for cinema release in September 2020
- 2009: McCartney Las Vegas show sells out in seconds
- 1970: George Harrison is interviewed for the BBC’s The Beatles Today
- 1970: Recording: It Don’t Come Easy by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Paul McCartney and George Harrison produce a Jackie Lomax session
- 1969: Mixing: Two Of Us, The Long And Winding Road, Lady Madonna
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Radio: The Friday Spectacular
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Liverpool Jazz Society, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.