‘Instant Karma!’ was issued as APPLES 1818. It peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100, and was the first solo single by a former Beatle to sell more than a million copies in America.
The b-side of the single was an acoustic ballad, ‘Who Has Seen The Wind?’ It was written by Yoko Ono, produced by Lennon, and recorded privately. The label had ‘PLAY QUIET’ printed in large type, in contrast to the a-side’s ‘PLAY LOUD’.
Its UK release had been two weeks previously, on 6 February 1970.
Also on this day...
- 2017: McCartney and Starr reunite for new Ringo recordings
- 1979: US album release: George Harrison by George Harrison
- 1970: Mixing: Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Ringo Starr attends the UK premiere of Candy
- 1969: Recording: Don’t Let Me Down
- 1968: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr arrive in Rishikesh, India
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, Good Morning Good Morning
- 1965: Recording, mixing: If You’ve Got Trouble, Tell Me What You See, You’re Going To Lose That Girl, That Means A Lot, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
- 1963: Live: St James Swimming Baths, Doncaster
- 1963: Radio: Parade Of The Pops
- 1963: Recording: Misery, Baby It’s You
- 1962: Live: Floral Hall, Southport
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.