Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
The first session took place from 2.30-5pm, and saw the completion of the song ‘Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing’. It was the Sentimental Journey song which required the most work, with sessions taking place on 26 December 1969 (without Starr), 14 January, and 3, 5 and 17 February 1970.
On this day eight singers, two flutes, an organ and a vibraphone were recorded. Stereo mixing took place on the following day, but the final mix was made on 6 March 1970.
Also on this day...
- 1971: UK single release: Another Day by Paul McCartney
- 1970: Recording: It Don’t Come Easy by Ringo Starr
- 1968: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr fly to India
- 1965: Recording: You’re Going To Lose That Girl
- 1963: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.