The main purpose of the trip was to attend the premiere of Starr’s film The Magic Christian, which took place at the Four Star Theater on 29 January.
During the US trip they also met Elvis Presley and saw him perform in Las Vegas, and travelled to New York. The couple returned to England on 2 February 1970.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunite at the Grammy Awards
- 1970: John Lennon is interviewed in Paris by Reuters
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 15
- 1965: George Martin breaks his foot in the Swiss Alps
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: King’s Hall, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1963: Live: El Rio, Macclesfield
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.