Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineers: Geoff Emerick, Phil McDonald
Stereo mixing of three Abbey Road songs took place during this 2.30-10.30pm session, which also saw a final overdub for ‘The End’.
The first task was the creation of two mixes of ‘Golden Slumbers’/‘Carry That Weight’.
This was followed by the recording of Paul McCartney’s four-second piano overdub for ‘The End’, prior to the line “And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to the love you make”. ‘The End’ – which at this stage still had the working title ‘Ending’ – was then mixed six times. More mixes were made on the following day.
Last updated: 6 July 2022
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 1966: Live: Suffolk Downs Racetrack, Boston
- 1965: Live: Atlanta Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia
- 1964: Travel: London to San Francisco
- 1963: Live: Princess Theatre, Torquay
- 1963: Television: Summer Spin
- 1962: Live: Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight – Ringo Starr’s first official show as a Beatle
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: The Beatles’ second day in Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.