The backing track was recorded in eight takes in Studio Three, in a session lasting from 2.30-9.30pm. Unusually for 1969, four-track tape was used.
Lennon's guide vocals were taped onto track four, and he also shook a tambourine during the guitar solo and coda. His voice was suffering for him not having sung anything significant since Give Peace A Chance was recorded on 1 June 1969. At one stage in the session his vocals appeared to give out altogether, despite some spirited performances.
From 9.30-10pm take eight of Come Together was copied over to eight-track tape in the control room of Studio Two.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Citi Field, New York
- 1963: Live: Queen’s Theatre, Blackpool
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.