Studios Two and Three, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Phil McDonald
The rest of the session was devoted to Octopus's Garden. Ringo Starr recorded his lead vocals, which he manually double-tracked during the choruses. He also added drum fills before each chorus, which can be heard in the left channel of the final mix.
Following these overdubs the song was complete. From 8-10.30pm Octopus's Garden was mixed in stereo in the control room of Studio Two. Five mixes, numbered 10-14, were made. Starr's vocals in the verses were treated with artificial double tracking.
Seven mono mixes were also made, for unknown purposes, as Abbey Road was never considered for mono release. Octopus's Garden was the only song on the album to be mixed in mono.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Citi Field, New York
- 2008: Pete Best to release new CD
- 2008: Limited edition Beatles iPod to be sold by Bloomingdales
- 2008: Beatles Monopoly set to pass Go
- 2008: Lennon childhood biopic awarded UK Film Council grant
- 1968: Recording: Cry Baby Cry, Helter Skelter
- 1963: Recording: You Really Got A Hold On Me, Money, Devil In Her Heart, Till There Was You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.