Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Phil McDonald
The short session took place in Abbey Road's Studio Two from 2.45-5.30pm session, although some of the early part was spent listening to Ann Jones beating Billie-Jean King in the 71-minute Wimbledon Ladies' tennis final.
The studio engineers had been listening to the match before The Beatles arrived, and the radio feed was eventually played through the studio speakers so all could hear it.
The only music recorded on this day was an overdub onto Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, which had the simple working title of Golden Slumbers. The nature of the overdub is unclear.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Rockhal, Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Roskilde Festival, Denmark
- 2009: The Beatles’ former manager Allen Klein dies at 77
- 2009: McCartney publishes extended tribute to Michael Jackson
- 1969: UK single release: Give Peace A Chance by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Recording: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1967: George Harrison visits his parents
- 1966: Live: Rizal Memorial Football Stadium, Manila, Philippines
- 1965: Travel: Barcelona to London
- 1963: Editing, mixing: She Loves You, I’ll Get You
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.