The Beatles had filmed part of Help! in Nassau in 1965, and Ringo Starr was heading there for a two-week holiday, both of which may have influenced the choice of destination.
Lennon and Ono were intending to hold the bed-in at the Sheraton Oceanus Hotel in Freeport, but the idea was abandoned and the following day they flew to Toronto, Canada.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at O2 Arena, London
- 2010: Paul McCartney to receive Gershwin Prize at the White House
- 1968: Demo recordings for the White Album
- 1967: The Beatles watch Procol Harum perform in London
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, Walthamstow, London
- 1963: Radio: Pop Go The Beatles
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1962: Recording: Sweet Georgia Brown, Swanee River
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.