Paul McCartney produced the second session for Mary Hopkin's single Goodbye on this day at Morgan Studios in London.
The single's b-side, Sparrow, was also recorded in these sessions, the first of which had taken place on the previous day.
Although I'm flattered that Paul wrote Goodbye especially for me, it was, I believe, a step in the wrong direction for me. I'm so grateful that he chose Those Were The Days as my first single. I think Those Were The Days, being originally a Ukrainian folk song, has a timeless quality, but Goodbye is set firmly in the sixties pop era.
Goldmine magazine, 2007
Goodbye was written by McCartney. He had recorded a solo demo at his home, 7 Cavendish Road, London, in February 1969. For the studio version Hopkin sang and performed acoustic guitar, while McCartney played bass guitar, an acoustic guitar introduction and solo, ukulele, thigh-slapping percussion and drums. Backing vocals, horns and strings, arranged by Richard Hewson, were also added.
He did demo Goodbye for me, which he wrote and then produced. And when we recorded it we played the guitar part together, plus Paul added a thigh slap all through the song and played ukulele.
Record Collector, 1988
Sparrow was written by Benny Gallagher and Graham Lyle, a songwriting duo signed to Apple Publishing who found fame as Gallagher And Lyle in the 1970s. Hopkin sang and played guitar, McCartney added maracas, a session musician played upright bass, and Hewson arranged a choir part.
Morgan Studios was situated at 169-171 High Road in Willesden Green, London. McCartney recorded part of his debut album there in 1970, and shortly afterwards Ringo Starr recorded his debut, Sentimental Journey, there.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney announces UK and Ireland summer tour
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono perform in Cambridge
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: US single release: Twist And Shout
- 1964: The Beatles begin filming A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Television: ABC At Large
- 1963: Live: City Hall, Sheffield
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: St John’s Hall, Bootle
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.