Apple Studios, Savile Row, London
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Glyn Johns
The presence of Billy Preston greatly helped to shape the song, although at this stage John Lennon was yet to develop his guitar solo and the galloping rhythm of the final version was not yet in place. The coda was, however, and Paul McCartney decided that ‘Get Back’ would be complete with just two verses.
One of the takes was chosen by Glyn Johns for the first iteration of the Get Back album, which was rejected for release by The Beatles. This album was later circulated as Kum Back, one of the first Beatles bootleg collections.
Although work on ‘Get Back’ dominated the day, The Beatles also spent some time on ‘Oh! Darling’, which was eventually held over for Abbey Road. Ringo Starr also played a piano version of ‘Octopus’s Garden’, which was later developed further than the three-chord arrangement he had at this time.
No more successful was a version of Eddie Cochran’s ‘Twenty Flight Rock’, one of the songs with which McCartney impressed Lennon by performing on the day they first met, 6 July 1957. Unfortunately, 12 years later McCartney was unable to remember all the lyrics, although The Beatles nonetheless managed a fairly spirited performance.
The full list of songs recorded on this day, including fragments and off-the-cuff, unpublished songs with presumed titles (plus primary composer/best-known performer):
- ‘Octopus’s Garden’
- ‘Two Of Us’ (two versions)
- ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’ (three versions)
- ‘Get Back’ (43 versions)
- ‘Words Of Love’
- ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran)
- ‘Oh! Darling’ (three versions)
- ‘Let It Be’ (two versions)
- ‘Mean Mr Mustard’
- ‘Let’s Twist Again’ (Chubby Checker)
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’ (two versions)
- ‘Everything’s Alright’ (Billy Preston)
- ‘I Want To Thank You’ (Billy Preston)
- ‘You’ve Been Acting Strange’ (Billy Preston)
- ‘Use What You Got’ (Billy Preston)
- ‘Happiness Runs’ (Donovan)
- ‘Shazam’ (Duane Eddy)
- ‘Dig A Pony’
- ‘I’ll Get You’
- ‘Please Please Me’
- ‘Hey Hey Georgie’* (Harrison)
- ‘If You Need Me’* (McCartney)
- ‘Love Is The Thing To Me’* (Billy Preston)
- ‘Together In Love’* (Billy Preston)
- ‘It Blew Again’* (Lennon)
Also on this day...
- 1984: UK album release: Milk And Honey by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.