The main purpose of the trip was to produce songs for fellow Liverpudlian Jackie Lomax’s debut album, Is This What You Want?, which was released by Apple in March 1969.
The first Los Angeles session took place on this day at Sound Recorders Studios. Harrison produced a session in which the backing track for the title song was recorded.
The core set of musicians on the album were Harrison on rhythm guitar, Joe Osborne on bass guitar, Larry Knechtel on piano, electric piano and organ, and Hal Blaine on drums. Sessions for the album continued until 11 November 1968.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at First Niagara Center, Buffalo, New York
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Maxwell C King Center for the Performing Arts, Melbourne, Florida
- 2009: Paul McCartney announces European tour
- 1991: US album release: Liverpool Oratorio by Paul McCartney
- 1984: Album release: Give My Regards To Broad Street by Paul McCartney
- 1968: Recording: Yellow Submarine film score
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison leave India
- 1965: Recording: In My Life, Nowhere Man
- 1964: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1964: Mixing: I Feel Fine
- 1962: Live: Queen’s Hall, Widnes
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.