The Beatles began studio work on ‘Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey’.
The group had begun a new way of working for the White Album, in which they would often rehearse a song multiple times, with the tape machines running throughout, and would then treat the best as a proper take. They would then overdub onto the rehearsal to create the final recording.
‘Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey’ was rehearsed on this evening, in a session running from 7pm to 3.30am. The song had the working title ‘Unititled’, and numerous takes were recorded. None of them were usable, however, and The Beatles started afresh on the following day.
Also on this day...
- 2023: Paul McCartney attends Eyes Of The Storm exhibition launch
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
- 2009: Paul McCartney pays tribute to Michael Jackson
- 2004: Paul McCartney live: Glastonbury Festival
- 1968: George Harrison produces Jackie Lomax’s Sour Milk Sea
- 1967: Recording, mixing: All You Need Is Love
- 1966: Live: Ernst Merck Halle, Hamburg
- 1965: Live: Palazzo dello Sport, Genoa, Italy
- 1964: Live: Town Hall, Dunedin, New Zealand
- 1964: US album release: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Newcastle
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.