The purpose of the visit was for Harrison to make a guest appearance in Ravi Shankar’s film Raga. The scene was filmed on 10 and 11 June in Big Sur, but the party stayed in Monterey during their visit.
The film was originally made under the working title East Meets West, and later known as Messenger Out Of The East before the eventual title was settled upon.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Beacon Theatre, New York
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: CMAC, Hopewell, New York
- 2005: US album release: Choose Love by Ringo Starr
- 1968: Paul McCartney is best man at his brother Michael’s wedding
- 1967: Recording: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
- 1964: Travel: Amsterdam to Hong Kong
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Glasgow
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.