All four Beatles were at Twickenham Film Studios on this day to record an on-screen appearance for the end of the Yellow Submarine film.
The sequence was carefully scripted, although The Beatles’ natural charm recalled the witticisms of their early press conferences, group interviews and fan club recordings.
Filming took place following a series of test-runs and camera rehearsals. The sequence was shown towards end of the film, to introduce ‘All Together Now’ and the closing credits.
Also on this day...
- 2014: The Beatles win lifetime achievement award at the Grammys
- 1991: Television: Paul McCartney on MTV Unplugged
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 16
- 1968: Pattie Harrison models for Ossie Clark
- 1967: Mixing: Penny Lane
- 1965: John and Cynthia Lennon holiday in the Swiss Alps
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: Co-operative Hall, Darwen
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.