Room 53, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick
Between 10am and 1pm on this day, new mono mixes were made of ‘All You Need Is Love’ and ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’, for the soundtrack of the Yellow Submarine film.
The mixes were each done in one attempt. ‘All You Need Is Love’ was the first to be created. Numbered remix 11, it lasted 3’44”, 13 seconds less than the mono single. The mix of ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ was numbered 20.
It is unlikely that The Beatles were present at this session, although they attended an afternoon session for Magical Mystery Tour songs.
Last updated: 7 July 2022
Also on this day...
- 2017: Paul McCartney reveals photo inspiration for Lady Madonna
- 2010: Steinway announces John Lennon grand piano
- 2010: Paul McCartney and Wings’ Band On The Run is reissued
- 2004: Album release: Acoustic by John Lennon
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1968: UK album release: Wonderwall Music by George Harrison
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: Untitled Sound Effects, Hello, Goodbye, The Fool On The Hill
- 1965: Television: The Music Of Lennon & McCartney
- 1964: Live: Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Cheltenham
- 1963: UK EP release: The Beatles No. 1
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Bruno Koschmider terminates The Beatles’ Kaiserkeller contract
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.