Like his elder brother, Jason was born in Queen Charlotte's Hospital in Hammersmith, London. His name was chosen by his mother.
In later years Jason worked in the music industry, becoming a road manager and drummer. He once described his famous family as a burden, saying: "Being Ringo Starr's son is the biggest drag of my life. It's a total pain."
In 1987 Jason Starkey was fined £125 after being caught stealing a car stereo, and two years later appeared twice in court on drugs charges. He played in a succession of bands including Buddy Curtis and the Grasshoppers, The People's Friend, Empire Of Sponge, and with his brother Zak, Musty Jack Sponge and the Exploding Nudists.
Despite his earlier problems with drugs and the law, Jason settled down in England with his wife Flora and two sons Louie and Sonny.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh
- 1969: Recording, mixing: The End, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, Something, Here Comes The Sun
- 1966: Live: Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis
- 1965: Live: Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston
- 1964: Live: Cow Palace, San Francisco
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Bournemouth
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.