Asher was touring a production of Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet with the Old Vic theatre company, and on this day they flew out of Denver, where they had been based for a few days. McCartney and Evans stayed behind and visited the city's Red Rocks Amphitheater, where The Beatles had performed on 26 August 1964.
Bert Rosenthal, whose house McCartney and Asher had stayed in during their Denver trip, then drove them to the airport. Their hired Lear jet took them to Los Angeles, where they stayed for two nights at the home of Derek Taylor and his wife Joan.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Publishers announced for The Lennon Letters
- 1970: Apple denies that Paul McCartney has left The Beatles
- 1969: The Beatles’ penultimate photo session
- 1965: UK single release: Ticket To Ride
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Gaumont State Cinema, Kilburn, London
- 1963: Television: Tuesday Rendezvous
- 1963: Radio: Pop Inn
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.