The day after their final concert took place at San Francisco's Candlestick Park, The Beatles departed the United States for England.
They flew from Los Angeles, where they had stayed for several days towards the end of the tour. The 12-hour flight arrived at London Airport the following day, and they were greeted by several thousand screaming fans.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney urges Scots to vote No to independence
- 1972: John Lennon live at Madison Square Garden, New York
- 1969: John Lennon and Ringo Starr travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Dear Prudence
- 1968: UK single release: Hey Jude
- 1965: Live: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1964: Live: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.