The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein announced on this day the group's plans to tour Germany, Japan, the Philippines and the United States.
The final live dates took place between June and August 1966, and were to be The Beatles' final scheduled concerts. Their last show was at San Francisco's Candlestick Park on 29 August 1966.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
- 2009: John Lennon artworks to go on show in Edinburgh
- 1968: Ringo Starr arrives back in England
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1964: Mixing: I Should Have Known Better, If I Fell, Tell Me Why, And I Love Her, I’m Happy Just To Dance With You, I Call Your Name
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Bootle
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.