The remaining mixes were made on this day. Working in the control room of Abbey Road’s Studio One, George Martin and balance engineer Norman Smith first created mono mixes for I’m Looking Through You, You Won’t See Me, Girl and Wait.
These were followed by stereo mixes of Wait, I’m Looking Through You, You Won’t See Me, Girl and The Word, the latter replacing an 11 November version. A second mono mix of Michelle was the last song to be completed, and replaced one made on 9 November.
The session began at 2.30pm and finished three hours later. The following day George Martin decided Rubber Soul’s running order and the manufacturing process began.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Fukuoka Dome, Fukuoka, Japan
- 1968: George Harrison appears on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
- 1967: Mixing: Hello, Goodbye
- 1963: Live: Colston Hall, Bristol
- 1962: Travel: Hamburg to Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Hippodrome, Manchester
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.