With their 1965 tour of North America complete, The Beatles flew back to London on the evening of 1 September. They landed at London Airport (later renamed Heathrow) the following morning.
Upon their return to England they enjoyed a break from work lasting nearly six weeks.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live: Hard Rock Cafe & Casino, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2009: BBC chart reveals best-selling UK Beatles songs
- 2009: BBC Radio 2’s bank holiday Beatles bonanza
- 1986: UK album release: Press To Play by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Bob Dylan visits John Lennon at Tittenhurst Park
- 1967: The Beatles discuss their future after Brian Epstein
- 1965: Paul McCartney and George Harrison attend a Byrds recording session
- 1963: Television: Big Night Out
- 1962: Live: Subscription Rooms, Stroud
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.