The Beatles' 1965 European Tour ended on this day, with a concert at the Plaza de Toros Monumental in Barcelona, Spain. The group were due on stage at 10.45pm but their performance was delayed until around 11.20pm.
I remember playing a big bullring in Barcelona, the Plaza de Toros, where the Lord Mayor had great seats and all the rich people had seats but the kids, our real audience, were outside. We used to get upset about that: 'Why are we playing to all these bloody officials? We should be playing to the people outside. Let them in...' But of course they wouldn't.
The Beatles' set throughout the European tour comprised the same 12 songs: Twist And Shout, She's A Woman, I'm A Loser, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black, I Wanna Be Your Man, A Hard Day's Night, Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, Rock And Roll Music, I Feel Fine, Ticket To Ride and Long Tall Sally.
The European Tour had begun on 20 June 1965 in Paris, France, and included a total of 15 concerts spread over nine dates.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Horseshoe Casino, Tunica, Mississippi
- 1969: Recording, editing: Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight
- 1968: Recording: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1967: Lennon, McCartney and Harrison attend a party in London
- 1966: The Beatles arrive in Manila, Philippines
- 1963: Radio: The Beat Show
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.