Although the Beatles For Sale album had been available for six months, and The Beatles had already begun performing and releasing songs from their forthcoming Help!, Parlophone issued this four-track EP in the UK.
The group's ninth EP sold notably less than its predecessors, and peaked at number five in the EP chart. It remained in the charts for 24 weeks.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert, London
- 2012: The Beatles named as UK’s biggest-selling singles act in Queen’s reign
- 1969: US single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
- 1967: McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London
- 1964: The Beatles’ world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1964: Recording, mixing, editing: Long Tall Sally, Matchbox, I Call Your Name, Slow Down, When I Get Home, Any Time At All, I’ll Cry Instead
- 1963: Live: Town Hall, Birmingham
- 1962: Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.