This was the first of a two-day shoot at Cliveden House in Maidenhead, Berkshire, a sumptuous stately home dating from the 19th century.
Cliveden House provided the interior shots in Help!, mainly for the scenes situated inside Buckingham Palace. A number of scenes were filmed on this and the following day. They include one in which The Beatles played cards, which was filmed in the French Dining Room in the south-western corner of the house.
Other scenes included The Beatles leaning out of a window to see the effects of poison gas, and the intermission , which was filmed in Bluebell Woods in the grounds of Cliveden.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Zócalo de la Ciudad de México, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1965: Recording, mixing: Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Bad Boy
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Blue Angel, Liverpool – audition for Larry Parnes
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.