While Martin was recuperating in St Moritz, John Lennon played him a song he was working on, which had the provisional title This Bird Has Flown.
It was during this time that John was writing songs for Rubber Soul, and one of the songs he composed in the hotel bedroom, while we were all gathered around, nursing my broken foot, was a little ditty he would play to me on his acoustic guitar. The song was Norwegian Wood.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunite at the Grammy Awards
- 1970: John Lennon is interviewed in Paris by Reuters
- 1970: Ringo and Maureen fly to Los Angeles
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 17
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: King’s Hall, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1963: Live: El Rio, Macclesfield
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.