The decision to film parts of Help! in the Bahamas came after a tax haven was set up there by their tax advisor Dr Walter Strach. As a gesture of goodwill to Strach, who had to live there for a year as part of the setup, The Beatles agreed to film on what was then a British colony.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Gelredome, Arnhem
- 1977: Album release: Scouse The Mouse featuring Ringo Starr
- 1974: US album release: Dark Horse by George Harrison
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1966: UK album release: A Collection Of Beatles Oldies
- 1965: Live: Odeon Cinema, Birmingham
- 1964: Paul McCartney visits Ringo Starr in hospital
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southend-on-Sea
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening) – George Martin watches The Beatles perform
- 1961: Live: Palais Ballroom, Aldershot
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.