The visit increased the security problems at University College Hospital, London, which had been trying to keep the fans at bay since Starr’s arrival on 1 December 1964. Paul McCartney visited Starr on the following day.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Tributes held worldwide to mark 30 years of John Lennon’s passing
- 1980: John Lennon dies
- 1969: Recording: Octopus’s Garden
- 1967: UK EP release: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording, editing: When I’m Sixty-Four, Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1965: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Sheffield
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Lewisham
- 1962: Live: Oasis Club, Manchester
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.