The Beatles performed before 18,000 fans at the Convention Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
The night before they had stayed at the Lafayette Motel. At 2.15pm they left in the back of a fish truck, and a short distance from the Convention Hall they switched to their waiting tour bus.
The Beatles performed their standard 12-song set: Twist And Shout, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Things We Said Today, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, If I Fell, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Boys, A Hard Day's Night and Long Tall Sally.
After the show The Beatles left the venue in a laundry truck, as their limousine was too conspicuous. That night they stayed at the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel in nearby Cape May, where they stayed for a few days prior to their 2 September concert in Philadelphia.
The Beatles Off The Record, Keith Badman
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney urges Scots to vote No to independence
- 1972: John Lennon live at Madison Square Garden, New York
- 1969: John Lennon and Ringo Starr travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Dear Prudence
- 1968: UK single release: Hey Jude
- 1966: Travel: Los Angeles to London
- 1965: Live: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Riverpark Ballroom, Chester
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.