The Beatles' fourth US album was the soundtrack for their debut film A Hard Day's Night.
The album contained all seven songs from the film, plus I'll Cry Instead, which was written for the film but cut at the last minute. In addition to The Beatles' original songs, there were also four orchestral instrumentals by George Martin and his orchestra. All tracks were credited to John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
A Hard Day's Night topped the US Billboard chart for 14 weeks, which was the longest run at the top for any album in 1964.
The tracklisting was as follows:
- A Hard Day's Night
- Tell Me Why
- I'll Cry Instead
- I Should Have Known Better (orchestral instrumental)
- I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
- And I Love Her (orchestral instrumental)
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
- 2009: Paul McCartney pays tribute to Michael Jackson
- 1968: Recording: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
- 1968: George Harrison produces Jackie Lomax’s Sour Milk Sea
- 1967: Recording, mixing: All You Need Is Love
- 1966: Live: Ernst Merck Halle, Hamburg
- 1965: Live: Palazzo dello Sport, Genoa, Italy
- 1964: Live: Town Hall, Dunedin, New Zealand
- 1963: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Newcastle
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.