This was The Beatles’ second and final concert appearance in Southend-on-Sea, Essex. The occasion was the 30th date of their 1963 Autumn Tour of the UK and Ireland.
Throughout the tour The Beatles performed a standard set containing 10 songs: ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me To You’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘You Really Got A Hold On Me’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Boys’, ‘Till There Was You’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Money (That’s What I Want)’ and ‘Twist And Shout’.
Also at the Odeon Cinema on this day was a BBC television news crew, who interviewed The Beatles in their dressing room.
The group had previously performed at the Odeon on 31 May 1963. The venue was demolished in 2004 and replaced with a university building.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Gelredome, Arnhem
- 1977: Album release: Scouse The Mouse featuring Ringo Starr
- 1974: US album release: Dark Horse by George Harrison
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1966: UK album release: A Collection Of Beatles Oldies
- 1965: Live: Odeon Cinema, Birmingham
- 1964: Paul McCartney visits Ringo Starr in hospital
- 1964: George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to the Bahamas
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening) – George Martin watches The Beatles perform
- 1961: Live: Palais Ballroom, Aldershot
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.