Another week in August 1963, and another six-night residency at a British seaside town. on this day. This, The Beatles’ last of the summer, took place at the Odeon Cinema in Southport, Lancashire.
The group had performed at the venue once before, on 1 March 1963 during the Helen Shapiro tour.
The Beatles performed two shows each night. Their set throughout the residency contained 10 songs: ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Thank You Girl’, ‘Chains’, ‘A Taste Of Honey’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Baby It’s You’, ‘From Me To You’, ‘Boys’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ and ‘Twist And Shout’.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Brian Epstein statue unveiled in Liverpool
- 2021: Let It Be remix and expanded editions announced
- 2020: John Lennon remix compilation Gimme Some Truth announced
- 1969: George Harrison meets Bob Dylan in Portsmouth
- 1968: Tape copying: Revolution 9
- 1968: US single release: Hey Jude
- 1967: The Beatles renounce the use of drugs
- 1966: Day off in Los Angeles
- 1964: Live: Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Denver
- 1963: Paul McCartney receives one-year driving ban
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
Married on August 24, 1963 and honeymooned in Southport. Bought tickets for balcony Front/Centre seats for the early show onThursday August 29 and found ourselves alone since the mainly female audience spent all the show on their feet downstairs at the stage. I remember also on the bill were Cilla Black, she sang “Anyone who has a heart”, Gerry and the Pacemakers and the Foremosts. Not sure if others performed but do remember the Beatles with “I saw her standing there” which was then and still is now how I see my wife Brenda, 56 plus years later.