This was the 12th date of The Beatles’ second residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany, situated on Große Freiheit off the Reeperbahn.
The Beatles performed for three and a half hours each night, for which they were each paid 600DM (£53.50) a week. On occasion they shared a bill with Little Richard, whom they had performed with in Liverpool the previous month.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at HSBC Arena, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 2012: UK release: The Beatles’ stereo vinyl box set
- 2008: Eleanor Rigby signature to be auctioned
- 1968: Recording: Electronic Sound by George Harrison
- 1966: Paul McCartney meets Mal Evans in Bordeaux, France
- 1963: Television: Day By Day, South Today
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.