This was The Beatles' 106th evening show at the Cavern Club.
They shared a bill with The Echoes, who had previously been the backing group for Gene Vincent and Conway Twitty on package tours. As a result they would have been familiar to Cavern Club audiences.
I had seen The Echoes backing everybody on a package show and they were like The Shadows with lots of echo and reverb. They were on the Cavern one Wednesday night when The Beatles normally topped the bill. They had the main spot and they were OK, but everybody had come to see The Beatles who came on after them. I have a vivid memory of seeing The Echoes standing there with their mouths wide open. They had no idea what was going to follow them and they had never heard anything like them.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Overall this was The Beatles' 243rd appearance at the cellar venue in Mathew Street, including their lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Sonoma Music Festival, Sonoma, California
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Fabulous Fox Theatre, St Louis, Missouri
- 2012: Love Me Don’t: EMI withdraws anniversary single
- 1969: Recording: Don’t Worry Kyoko (Mummy’s Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: Recording: Savoy Truffle
- 1966: Brian Epstein denies The Beatles’ split
- 1964: Television: Shindig!
- 1963: Radio: The Public Ear
- 1963: Recording: I Wanna Be Your Man, Little Child
- 1960: Live: The Beatles’ last show at the Indra Club, Hamburg
- 1959: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.