On this day The Beatles' 68th evening show at the Cavern Club took place. They topped a bill which also featured the Saints Jazz Band.
Earlier they had performed at the Casbah Coffee Club, owned by Pete Best's mother Mona. Both shows occurred without George Harrison, who was feeling unwell. As these were The Beatles' final Liverpool shows before their third residency in Hamburg, manager Brian Epstein wanted to make sure the band members were all healthy enough to perform during the seven-week stint at the Star-Club.
Overall this was The Beatles' 170th appearance at the Cavern Club, including their lunchtime shows.
The precise number of the group's performances at the underground Mathew Street venue is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2009: The Beatles’ remastered CDs to be released on 09/09/09
- 1969: Mixing: Get Back, Don’t Let Me Down
- 1967: Mixing: Sgt Pepper crossfades, With A Little Help From My Friends, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, Fixing A Hole, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- 1967: Paul McCartney films Jane Asher in Denver
- 1966: Recording: Tomorrow Never Knows, Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Savoy Ballroom, Southsea, Portsmouth
- 1962: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.