The Beatles’ 54th evening show at the Cavern Club took place on this date. Earlier in the evening they had performed at the YMCA in Hoylake, Wirral, and took to the stage at the Cavern after midnight.
The show was an all-nighter, and featured The Beatles at the top of a bill which also included the Red River Jazzmen, Tony Smith’s Jazz Band, Ken Sims’ Vintage Jazz Band, Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Ken Dallas and the Silhouettes.
Overall this was their 142nd appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows. The precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern performances is not known, although they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2021: Paul McCartney to publish 960-page book The Lyrics
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, Sarasota, FL, USA
- 2011: Paul McCartney to write for New York City Ballet
- 2009: Unreleased 11-minute mix of Revolution 1 surfaces
- 1986: UK album release: Live In New York City by John Lennon
- 1970: Recording, mixing: Blue Turning Grey Over You by Ringo Starr
- 1970: Mixing: Hot As Sun, Every Night by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording, tape copying: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1967: Recording: Lovely Rita
- 1965: Filming: Help!, the Bahamas
- 1963: Live: Coventry Theatre, Coventry
- 1962: Live: YMCA, Hoylake, Wirral
- 1961: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.